Back in early January 2026, I first heard that KPRC 2 Houston was doing something different with its 10pm newscast, and to tell you how big the news was, I heard it from staffers at two other TV stations within an hour of each other.
Since then, it's been the talk of the town.
Over the last few months, I've received inquiries from viewers, other TV stations, advertisers, and even Channel 2's own employees.
Now the 10pm transformation, as we now know it, "Enough," debuts Sunday, September 13, 2026. KPRC tells me the five-night-a-week 10pm show will air Sunday through Thursday while NBC airs Sunday Night Football, then will likely move to Monday through Friday after that.
KPRC 2 invited mikemcguff.com to its studios to see an early episode of Enough. More on my thoughts below.
First, let me address the many questions I have received. Enough, which KPRC calls a digital-first investigative accountability journalism series, obviously won't be your traditional newscast, as you may have gathered from the station's promotional content. Think of it like a Houston version of 60 Minutes to a degree.
In fact, the 30-minute show will be many things. The station tells me one night the Enough team will tackle a big subject like school vouchers, the next night it might be a series of topics, and the following day it could feature a roundtable discussion.
There will not be a news and weather segment. At least not during Enough. However, what news director Ana Lastra described to me as a 10:30 cut-in will have some quick news headlines and a weather update right before "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon."
And in case you didn't know, last Thursday, the Graham Media Group station debuted a 9pm streaming newscast on KPRC2+ that will now serve as the traditional late-night news.
But what about major breaking news? Will Enough be sidelined for something big going on at the moment? That is a question the team tells me they are still grappling with. Something very urgent would have to be going on to interrupt the show with breaking news. I asked whether a hurricane or refinery fire would be the demarcation for breaking news, and they said yes. Essentially, they said something current and public safety-related would certainly rise to the occasion for a switch to traditional news programming.
It's a big swing for a newscast that, as KPRC 2 Vice President and General Manager Sean McLaughlin noted on LinkedIn, finished No. 1 at 10 in May.
I sat down with McLaughlin, News Director Ana Lastra, and ENOUGH anchor Stephania Jimenez to find out what this project actually is and why they feel they must be experimental right now.
"For a long time you'd go into a community, turn on the news at 10, and there'd be five or six stations that all made the exact same decisions all day. It was almost mystifying — how did everybody in different parts of town arrive at the same exact decision?" he asked. "I think we're starting to see divergence. I think we're starting to see different philosophies around how we're going to operate as local media operations, how we're going to fund it and what's important. Some people are afraid of that. I'm really excited by it."
McLaughlin, who has been in the Houston GM chair a little over a year, said the decision didn't start with a ratings book.
"The short answer is it's not really a ratings play," he told me. "One of the first questions we spent time on is, what is it we do as a local TV station in 2026, 2027? We've operated a certain way for so long, but our industry has a lot of challenges. The audience is aging."
He argues the disconnect with younger viewers isn't about apathy.
"It's not because they don't care what's happening in their community. It's not because they're not interested in journalism. It's just we haven't done as good a job as we could appealing to them," McLaughlin said. "We still appeal to their parents and grandparents."
Having spent the last decade-plus in roles where, by his own description, he's "been exposed to more audience research than just about anybody in the industry," McLaughlin said the same themes kept surfacing.
"People are just really frustrated with a lot of things that are happening. They don't feel like they're getting answers. They feel like a lot of societal institutions are letting them down, including, to some degree, the local journalism institutions," he said. "So this was an opportunity to just completely reset that."
He also pushed back on the idea that local news can survive as a nightly crime rundown.
"Local news can't exist going forward, in my opinion, as just a collection of all the bad things that happen in a community in a given day," McLaughlin said. "If you want to do that in a community like Houston, you can fill hour after hour with just every little crime that happened. But people do want more. People are overrun with that."
McLaughlin actually told me the quiet part out loud. Shrinking television news audiences and a majority of only older viewers is something the TV world often talks about amongst themselves. McLaughlin is addressing this head-on, telling me the industry's financial challenges are real, but so is the opportunity to figure out its future: "through differentiated products and the kinds of content that only we're doing, I believe there's a sustainable path there going forward."
He added, "One of the mistakes a lot of times that gets made around innovation projects is it's done from a position of weakness. I feel strongly the best ideas and innovations can come from a position of strength."
The dream job
Anchor Stephania Jimenez, who came to KPRC 2 from KSAT12 in San Antonio in January, doesn't hide how she feels about the assignment.
"This is really my dream job," she said, tracing it back to a Brooklyn childhood where she didn't learn English until she started school and watched the news with her grandmother. "There was just something about asking questions that I wasn't really allowed to do when I was little. That just really piqued my interest."
She says she's never built something from the ground up like this.
"You can't really describe this as investigative journalism. There is a tinge of that, but there's more to it," Jimenez said. "When people watch this, I really want this to feel like — and I think they will walk away feeling like — this is a conversation that is happening between us and the audience, because the audience is a big part of the show."
About that viral flood moment
I asked Jimenez whether her widely shared on-air demand for answers during the July 2025 Hill Country flooding coverage planted a seed for a show like this.
"I kind of hated that, because it made the story about me and it wasn't about me," she told me. "I have been to Kerrville where these unfortunate floods happened. I knew people who passed away. So at that moment, I'm a journalist, I'm a reporter, but I also want answers for a lot of these people."
She said the reaction reflected something she thinks the industry gets wrong about itself.
"Sometimes people think that journalists are in one category, and then there's kind of everybody else, right? The public. And that's not true, especially when it comes to local news. We're one of you. We live in these communities," Jimenez said. "I just hope that people know that all of it comes from the heart."
What the show actually looks like
News Director Ana Lastra tells me not to expect a rigid format.
"There's going to be days that we'll have a whole show that's just built around one topic. There's going to be days where it might be other things. We might have roundtable discussions, one-on-one conversations, holding people accountable," Lastra said. "It's really going to be the content and the stories that dictate what the format is going to be for the show."
The audience, she said, sets the agenda, pointing to data centers, electricity resiliency and storm recovery as issues already driving coverage.
And it starts on digital, not at 10 p.m.
"When people wake up in the mornings, they're not looking at their phones saying, KPRC is going to publish all these stories right now," Lastra said. "So really, it's about how do we jump in on the conversation? How do we talk to our audience? How do we communicate with them on all these different platforms in different ways? Because not every platform is going to be the same way."
That's already happening. Lastra said reporters have been posting pieces of the first stories to Instagram before the elements are finished. "He's showing you the process, letting people in on the back end of it before all the story's elements are done, because that's just kind of how people expect information to come in now."
For Lastra, who came to KPRC 2 as an investigator, running this is personal.
"This is truly an investigative reporter, investigative journalist dream. Whether you're on camera, behind the scenes, the amount of passion that's going into it," she said. "I wish that ten years ago I could have been a part of this project from the ground. I would have killed to be a part of the project as a reporter back in the day."
So where did the daily news, weather, and sports go?
This is the question I suspect most viewers will have, and KPRC 2 has an answer: a new 9 p.m. stream on KPRC 2+.
"What you get on 10 right now is what you'll get on the 9, plus more, most likely, as we develop it out," Lastra said. "You'll get your sports, your news headlines, what to prepare for weather, all of those things."
Sports moves to that streaming half-hour or hour, which Lastra points out actually gives the sports team more room to work. And ENOUGH won't leave broadcast viewers empty-handed — she says the end of the 10 p.m. show will include a cut-in-style block of top headlines and weather.
Money on the screen
After watching the promo and the first episode of Enough, it's obvious there's a budget here. Crews are traveling around Texas and to another state, at least in what I saw.
"We're going one way while a lot of the business is going the other. I recognize that," McLaughlin said. "Good journalism, good storytelling and good reporting aren't cheap. There are cheaper ways to do this. But I believe in quality local reporting. I believe in investigative journalism, and I believe there needs to be more of it, not less of it."
KPRC tells me they have around 20 or more staffers dedicated to Enough, with anchor Jimenez plus reporters Amy Davis, Joel Eisenbaum, Rilwan Balogun and newly hired Kelly Wiley as the on-air talents.
- Derick Garcia joins KPRC 2 Houston for Enough
McGuff's thoughts
After directing an award-winning documentary film, I don't want to review someone else's work anymore. After what I personally went through to get "Runaway Radio" made, I have much more empathy for people putting themselves out there.
However, KPRC did bring me in to watch the first episode, so here are my thoughts.
Enough certainly does not look like a normal newscast. It has a striking production design. The footage looked cinematic. I am told they are shooting with cinema cameras and color-grading the video in post-production.
The episode I saw featured a school voucher report by Balogun. He traveled to Austin and then Phoenix. Jimenez then interviewed KPRC's GMG sister station WKMG Orlando anchor Lisa Bell about how the Florida school vouchers have been working.
Lastra told me they could work with their own company journalists for stories, plus those from independent media, in the future.
What's on the docket
Per KPRC 2, the early ENOUGH slate includes:
School vouchers. Texas Education Freedom Accounts, with a trip to Arizona to see how a longer-running voucher program has played out.
High-speed rail. Houston to Dallas by train — where the project stands and what's blocking it.
Growth and who pays for it. Data center expansion and land subsidence across the region.
Public safety technology, Houston's new administrative fee tied to garbage pickup, historic property protections and CenterPoint accountability.
The station says it will keep circling back on stories rather than moving on, framing it this way: getting an answer isn't the same as getting a solution.
Jimenez, for her part, wants Houston talking back.
"Share episodes, watch them. If there was something that you liked or that you didn't like, let us know," Jimenez tells mikemcguff.com readers. "If you have any suggestions or something that you would like to see on the show, I want you to tell us about that as well, because Houston, this show is for you."
