Mauricio Casillas is returning to KVIA ABC-7 El Paso to join Marcel Clarke as co-anchor of the weekday 5, 6, and 10 p.m. newscasts at the end of September 2026.
“El Paso is home. There is no place like it anywhere else. The opportunity to come back to my community and tell stories was one I couldn’t pass up,” Casillas said in a release. “El Paso is where my wife and I met. It’s where our families live. And it’s where we want to raise our son. "The privilege to report on a community I love, surrounded by people I love, is one that I will be eternally grateful for. I can’t wait to help tell the story of El Paso, Las Cruces and Juárez. ¡Nos vemos pronto!
“KVIA is a legacy station — one that the Borderland has trusted for nearly seven decades now — and I want to help carry that legacy forward."
Casillas returns to El Paso after four years at NBC4 Washington WRC, where he worked as a reporter and anchor since 2022. He also reported for Telemundo Washington in Spanish. His work in the nation’s capital earned him two Emmy Awards and an Edward R. Murrow Award.
“His Emmy Award-winning journalistic work will continue to build on the in-depth reporting that viewers have come to expect from ABC-7 on all platforms,” said ABC-7 News Director Sean Flanagan.
The El Paso native began his television career at KVIA in 2016 as the station’s first-ever morning traffic reporter before moving into reporting and anchoring. During his six years at ABC-7, Casillas anchored Good Morning El Paso, ABC-7 at 4 and ABC-7 at 10 before becoming anchor and executive producer of Good Morning El Paso.
“This is a great full-circle moment for Mauricio,” said KVIA-TV General Manager Brenda De Anda-Swann. “KVIA is where he started his career. He then left to work at one of the top stations in the country, and now he comes back home to put all that knowledge to work right in his community. I couldn’t be more excited to have him back in the newsroom. Mauricio and Marcel will make an incredible team.”
His coverage of border issues earned two Associated Press awards, while his work on the morning newscast earned him an Emmy Award for Best Morning Newscast in the small-market category.
A graduate of Arizona State University, Casillas earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and a master’s degree in mass communications.
Casillas takes over for Paul Cicala, who left in February 2026.
