support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Jeff Ehling leaves abc13 weekends for streaming


Jeff Ehling announced he is leaving the abc13 KTRK Houston weekend morning anchor desk with Charly Edsitty and heading to the weekday morning station streams on abc13+ as of January 2024.

This will be a big relief to many channel 13 viewers who were concerned about what was happening to Ehling when I posted the news in December 2023 that Brandon Hamilton was joining abc13 as a weekend morning anchor. As soon as I posted that news, my inbox and DMs started filling up with questions about Ehling.

All stations treat streaming with great importance these days as the linear television audiences decline.  This could be why 13 is moving one of its popular anchors to digital full-time to boost streaming numbers.  Also, Ehling is already hosting some of the morning streaming hours at 7am anyway. 

Here is what Ehling said on this morning's abc13 newscast:


"It is my last Sunday morning with all of you here on abc13 on the weekend. But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I'm still going to be here at abc13. 


I'll help you start your morning still, but moving Monday through Friday, that will be my new work shift. And you know, it's a change and I'm definitely excited about. 


As you all know, ABC 13 is live and local all morning long, and I'll be anchoring more of our morning newscasts at 7am. You'll see me Monday through Friday at seven and then again at 9am.  And I've also been given the opportunity to go back to my Action 13 Consumer roots. I'll be helping you protect your pocketbook now.


 I'm definitely going to miss the weekend crew. Charlie and Kevin are great friends of mine now, and I've certainly grown fond of all the people who work here and all of you at home who invite us into your busy lives, but I certainly am looking forward to this next chapter at abc13 working Monday through Friday."


This move fills the vacancy left by Jonathan Bruce, who moved from digital anchor to evenings after Chauncy Glover left abc13 for KCBS.

And as he noted, Ehling is also going back to his Action 13 consumer reporting...guessing KTRK doesn't want Amy Davis at KPRC 2 to get all of that notoriety with her consumer investigations.

Ehling joined KTRK in 2000 after working at Florida stations such as WPTV 5 West Palm Beach and WCTV Tallahassee.  He previously worked for Georgia stations 41NBC News WMGT Macon and WVGA Valdosta.




(Thanks to Christian for sending me the news)

 

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here