support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Chauncy Glover leaves abc13 Houston


Chauncy Glover announced on the 6:30pm newscast that he is leaving his anchor role with abc13 Houston KTRK after eight years.


UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2023
Chauncy Glover joins CBS Los Angeles 2 KCBS and KCAL 9


ALSO LEAVING ABC13 HOUSTON
Shelley Childers leaves abc13 Houston
Patrina Adger joins KFDM News Beaumont


Here is a transcript of what Glover said at the end his final time as an anchor for an abc13 Houston newscast:


 

"This is my last day and last newscast here at abc13 as I am moving on to take another great opportunity. 


Houston, first want to talk to you and say I love you and thank you. Thank you for welcoming me nine years ago, when I first came to Houston as a 29-year-old eager journalist, a young man with glasses and no facial hair. I had no family here or friends, but Houston, you became my family and you all became my friends. Thank you all so much for trusting me, allowing me to tell your stories and see your events. Speak at your schools and churches. 


Houston is a great city because of you, our viewers, you great people who make this city great. Houston is like a family. We've had our peaks and we that our valleys. We've been through a lot together. We've lost things and we've lost people. We've weathered Harvey together and World Series, four World Series and a pandemic. 


And when Covid hit me, it was you viewers calling and emailing me, DMing me, praying me, praying for me and my recovery. Even when I was out, I had you in mind and I bounced back because I wanted to get back to you, my family. 


I must say thank you to my general manager, Wendy Granato, who found me in Detroit, saw something in me and gave you my first anchor job on the weekends morning show. Thank you for being the best, most caring boss I have ever had. I will always be grateful for you. This station is so special and just like Houston is, the people in this building that have come and also have come through this building that make abc13 great.


And not just the ones you see here on TV, to see us on your screen or on your phone. It takes a village to producers, executive producers, editors, security and many more help bring you accurate fair news every single day. And I work with some of the best in the business. 


From Melanie Lawson, who has loved and supported me and cheered since day one. It was actually Melanie who they sent in for the kill during my interview, she told me that I can't promise everything will be perfect, but we will have your back. And she kept to that promise. 


And the biggest blessing of all has been this young lady right here, my co-worker (Mayra Moreno), to sit beside you every single day. And match you every single day, it's been fun...You have been my rock and my therapist at times. We've laughed and prayed and cried together and you have been the best work wife anyone could ask for. 


And lastly, and what I'm most proud of the work I've done in the community through my nonprofit, the Chauncy Glover Project. We've mentored more than 2,000 boys of color, and we've sent more than 250 young men to college. CGP has gotten countless boys on the right track and we've changed so many lives. CGP will continue this fall, although I will not be here in Houston. 


Houston, God has been so good to me. I'm going to get some much needed rest and vacation and I'll share details on my next chapter on social media here in the coming weeks. But thank you so much and God bless you and Mayra, thank you for being the best co-worker."



In tears, Moreno responded to Glover:



"I know we will miss you and all of Houston will miss you. And it has been such a pleasure for me because this is It is now surreal and it has hit. But you will always be here with all of us in our hearts. And we're not getting rid of me. I'm texting you. I'm bugging you. And you know, we always have those Facetime talks."



The Houston Chronicle's Culture Columnist Joy Sewing actually broke the news after a reported email went out to the KTRK staff instructing them not to post about Glover's departure ahead of time and way before the anchor said goodbye to television viewers. Based on what's in the newspaper article, it appears Glover is not staying with the Disney/ABC television group.

The longtime KTRK anchor recently returned to abc13 in January 2023 after a four month medical issue

Glover joined abc13 KTRK in 2015 as a weekend morning anchor from WDIV Local 4 Detroit where he was a reporter.  

In 2018, he and co-anchor Mayra Moreno help debut the station's 3pm newscast. He later moved to evenings in early 2020.

The three-time Emmy Award winning anchor  and Troy University grad previously worked for WTVM News Leader 9 Columbus, Georgia and CBS 47 / Fox 30 in Jacksonville, Florida.


(Post has been updated with Glover's goodbye speech from abc13 Houston)



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here