support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Elissa Rivas celebrates 20 years with abc13 Houston


Elissa Rivas has been with abc13 KTRK Houston for 20 years and station owner Disney sent her a Simba statue from "The Lion King" to celebrate!

"Celebrating 20 years [at abc13], receiving my service award today...for those wondering...yes, I started working here when it was 9," the traffic and news anchor tweeted.

"I am very proud of Elissa for reaching this incredible milestone," Rivas' husband Chris Stipes told mikemcguff.com.  "Not many in the news business reach 20 years with the same company, but ABC 13 has been wonderful for her career and for our family. I still vividly remember the day she got the offer from KTRK when we were both just starting our broadcasting careers at the same TV station in El Paso. We jumped in with both feet and Houston has been home ever since, and we couldn’t be more grateful." 

Rivas came to KTRK in February 2023 from KFOX 14 El Paso. Before that she worked for KYMA Yuma, Arizona.

"Elissa is as genuine as they come," Stipes added.  "Who viewers see on TV and social media is who she is every day with our family and friends. She’s a kind, intelligent, caring and committed wife, mother and journalist. Houston is lucky to have her and so am I."

Houston and Texas TV viewers will recognize the name Chris Stipes.   Up until 2016, he was an anchor with FOX 26 Houston KRIV.  That actually makes Rivas and Stipes co-workers with Rita Garcia!

Before that he was a sports anchor/reporter for KXAN Austin.  And as Stipes mentioned above, both he and Rivas worked for KFOX El Paso.

"As for me, I've been at the University of Houston now for nearly 7 years (ever since I left FOX 26)," Stipes told me.  "I'm currently the senior director of media relations and oversee the University's external communications. And the best part is I still get to work with all the reporters in Houston, minus the crazy hours!"



I also want to mention that abc13 graphic designer and all around good guy Jorge Franco celebrates 25 years!  

And reporter Pooja Lodhia is being honored for 10 years of service.

Congrats to all!





CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here