support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Collin Myers: Where was his abc13 goodbye?

Collin Myers

 

We have seen three popular abc13 KTRK personalities leave this month, two received on-air goodbyes, but one did not.

Earlier in September, longtime reporter Deborah Wrigley got a big send off to retirement including  "Deborah Wrigley Day," a channel 13 car parade and a news story.

This week, departing weekend sports anchor Bob Slovak had multiple times to say goodbye to viewers on air, plus a news story.

Today, former weekend morning meteorologist Collin Myers took to his Facebook page and his 91,000 followers to deliver his dismay that he was not given an opportunity by KTRK to say goodbye to them on television.

Here is what he posted for those of you not on social media:

"I wanted to wait until after all recent events to share more of my personal thoughts with you. After three years, my time at KTRK-TV has come to an end. Although I had hoped for the opportunity to say goodbye to you on-air, it was not in the cards. I was surprised by the station’s decision making and surprised by no “goodbye” from anyone, but respect it in all class, and trust in God. 

It is through a lens of pride that I view my last three years here at 13. From covering catastrophic storms like Tropical Storm Imelda, to competing on Millionaire in Las Vegas, while representing Houston. it’s hard to believe it all happened in just three years!

I’ve made some lifelong friends here and I had to post this to finally give them credit. My people, from Chauncy Glover, Mayra Moreno, and Erica Simon, to David Tillman and our Tornado chasing days. Erik and Ilona, you’ve always been a joy to see for the 4pm show. Art and Mel, I’ve enjoyed our laughs together, mostly on the air at 11am! And who doesn’t laugh at jokes from Tom and Samica? I’ve appreciated every early morning with you and Katherine. And yes, I still keep up with Tim Heller. Tim, I appreciate the faith you had in me from the start. I’ll text you soon. 😉

I’m thankful for some of my closest producers and directors. Jeff, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen you take a day off, ever. Robert, our serious talks were always welcomed. Mike, I’m still jealous of your Jeep. And Felix, no matter what, I’ll still always be bitter about my Chiefs’ loss to your Pats in the ‘18 AFC Championship. 

I’m also proud to have been a major part of our weather team in America’s fourth largest city. David, Elita, Travis, and Rachel, stay in touch. (Just don’t forget to update the web text post when you read this! 😅)

Here’s the harder part. I’m most thankful for you. Thank you for waking up so early with me in the mornings. When offered a shift change, I still don’t know why I didn’t take evenings. Haha!

I’m ready for change (and vacation). I couldn’t be more excited. I’m excited to once again have the freedom to embrace my future. You CAN continue to follow me on all social media, as I am keeping them for my next adventure.

•Joshua 1:9 { “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” }

‭‭Collin"

I've certainly received an angry earful from the Myers faithful about his sudden departure. Then again, it seems some channel 13 viewers aren't happy about Bob Slovak being off air either.


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here