Friday, December 07, 2012

Walton and Johnson off 93.7 The Arrow KKRW

UPDATE 3/4/2013
J.C. Corcoran, 93.7 The Arrow's new morning man

Wouldn't you know the one day I am shooting an interview for my Rock 101 KLOL documentary, with no internet access, that's the day one of the station's former morning shows makes news.

It's the Radio Gawds, not that duo, the other one, Walton and Johnson.

It appears W&J, and the associated cast of characters, are no longer on the air in Houston at 93.7 KKRW The Arrow. I started getting concerned emails from the show's fans early this morning.

Luckily Craig Hlavaty of The Houston Press saw my tweet about it and got on the case. He found out, and I've also heard the same from others, that Walton and Johnson are gone, longtime Houston rocker Steve Fixx takes their slot and the night guy, the legendary Colonel St. James, moves to Fixx's afternoon slot. So you see KLOL still lives on since all of these guys are former Rock 101 jocks.

The W&J guys also gave a rambling left wing blame statement to Craig.

After you reading this blog, you have followed W&J from their time at mornings on 950 KPRC Radio Mojo to 93.7 The Arrow.

Walton and Johnson gave a much longer response about that move and other things to David Barron of the Houston Chronicle:

We were never allowed to air our actual show (that other markets were having record success with) and even then we roundly vanquished the Cox station head to head direct competition for about two years solid even though they spent a couple million dollars in TV ads and promotion while CC spent not one dime in defense. Cox did not start winning some measurement periods until they discovered the wonderful wrinkle in Arbitron’s PPL technology of putting duplicate programming on two stations and having it measured and reported as one. Admittedly a brilliant strategy if you have an extra station to give up. READ THE REST

To put this on a national persepctive, Walton and Johnson are not the only ones out on the street this holiday season. Clear Channel has done nationwide layoffs this time throughout the years. I am hearing other Clear Channel Houston employees have been let go too. All Access is keeping a running tab of cut victims across the US. We learn there that W&J producer Josh Reno is gone too.

RELATED
- 93.7 The Arrow adds to Walton and Johnson Show
- TMZ: Christopher Plummer hangs up on KPRC's Walton and Johnson

17 comments:

  1. Fuck this noise. I would listen to W and J on the Internet here in Dallas. At least I still have Kidd Kraddick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clear Channel is in deep financial trouble (that Fiscal Cliff) along with Cumulus, CBS, etc. CC needs to liquidate Quickly....look for Sports 93.7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. We do NOT need another 10th sports station period!!!

      Delete
    2. 101 KLOL should still be Rock N Roll12/14/2012 10:42:00 AM

      Glad to hear Clearchannel is in trouble. Hopefully they fold.

      Delete
  3. W&J were no-talent hacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good they sucked...

    Although our worst of our troubles ain't over, word on the street is that 93.7 The Arrow plans to replace them with John Boy and Billy (they are syndicated out of Charlotte, NC), dang it, we now have to deal with W&J clones out of North Carolina if this becomes true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...hope that's not true. JB and Billy are pretty bad. Whatever happened to LOCAL morning shows?

      Delete
  5. Houston is a tune-out factor town. So, we all won't listen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never understood why W&J were placed on a rock station. It was always a little odd to hear right wing rhetoric followed by music from decidedly left wing artists (Springsteen, U2, etc.) They didn't really mesh with the Arrow and seemed equally out of place when they were on KLOL. They were so out of touch with the rock world, they couldn't even interview KISS: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kiss-radio-interview-walton-johnson/.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do they even have dj's? 95 percent of the people I know, don't care about them. We just want to hear music!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo, Anonymous up there, Music is the key!!! Roger that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you say KTRH-FM? Sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey Child, the Stepford Wives like any old thing put on the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That guy doing the lady's voice made me violently ill. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The scene: After all the human DJs have been replaced--by
    a computer--the computer, HAL, starts having a nervous breakdown.

    "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a 10%er. This sucks! Listening to them was the best part of my morning. Hope they come back to Houston soon.
    For those of you that din't care for them, lol..... change the station! Really?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never should have fired Dean and Rog. Idiots. They were trying to grab the far right marketing dollar and now they see it's not catching on like they thought since the election. IDIOTS.

    ReplyDelete

AD