Thursday, May 06, 2010

KTRK 13 testing new traffic anchor?

Ken Hoffman at the Houston Chronicle knows his TV traffic talent. In his latest column, Hoffman mentions KPRC 2's Jennifer Reyna, KHOU 11's Katherine Whaley and KTRK 13's Don Nelson - then asks which one is different from the others. LOL:

Get the picture? This isn't to say that Nelson isn't attractive. He's a very handsome man, in a William Howard Taft sort of way. Obscure reference, I know.

So Channel 13 is reportedly screen-testing traffic reporters who are, let's say, more curvaceous than Nelson, who's been with the station for 30 years.

Nelson, probably the most versatile on-air personality in Houston, isn't going anywhere. Channel 13 is just looking to fight fire with fire when it comes to saying “there's a traffic jam on I-10 between Bingle and Wirt.” READ THE REST

Don Nelson is a reason many people watch Channel 13. He is very talented. And really I would say doing the traffic is a minor part of what he brings to the table. He and Tom Koch add the comedy to the morning show. Nelson also does other segments, hosts 30 minute and one hour shows and does feature oriented live shots. Heck he also hosted Good Morning Houston and Dialing for Dollars for many years. This guy is one talented, versatile work horse!

I always enjoyed getting to produce for Nelson the few times we got to work together. People ask me what he's like off camera.  He is the same only funnier in real life if you can imagine that.

Naturally one day he will retire. Everyone does it. Guess KTRK is just prepping for the obvious.

Also, shout out to Mr. Hoffman for mentioning my blog in today's column! Always appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. Darby Douglas, who probably understands Houston's traffic better than anybody, was let go only because consultants advised channel 11 it needed to hire a "more curvaceous" female traffic reporter to compete in the ratings. Another shinning example of what's wrong with TV News.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The traffic reporting is the easy part -- anyone can rattle off a bunch of intersections. Obviously, KHOU decided --correctly or not-- that Darby didn't bring enough else to the show. I know when I was working in the market I wasn't concerned that his personality was a threat.

    There's no question Don adds a unique element to 13's mornings and that he's a huge part of why they've dominated mornings in Houston for decades. I'm proud to say I had a chance to work with him for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don has lots of curves, they just aren't in the right places like Jennifer's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and his are real!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PLEASE RETIRE Don Nelson. For years he has always came across like a sleaze. I heard that he only hangs on to his job because of Dave Alkie Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TRACY AND I GUESS YOUR THINKING HAS KEEP YOU IN THIS MARKET....GIRL IS THIS WHY YOU ARE JOBLESS...GIVE ME A FRAKING BREAK. ALSO HOPE SOME MARKET STATION WILL PICK YOU UP SOMEDAY.... DAMN STUPID LIBERALS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And please dont insult Shara and her hubby by posting that picture of him and Shara. This guy is a skank.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree this old man should retire. I have also been told thru the years that they wanted to get rid of him but Dave said over my dead body. Don do a Ed Brandon and just go away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Calm down everybody.

    The woman doing the "screen test" is an intern, trying to put together a resume tape. There are others doing mock newscasts but that doesn't mean Dave Ward is going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sundays in section 1105/10/2010 11:25:00 AM

    I wish every morning news program would get rid of traffic reporting completely and with it they can take out the weather reporter.

    I am tired of getting 10 minutes of "News" in a half hour. I want to hear and see what's going on in my community and the rest of the world.

    Every time the weather gets reported, which was exactly the same as it was 10 or 8 minutes ago when they last reported on it, and traffic report comes on I turn the channel.

    The first channel to get a full NEWS focus for their morning programming will clean up on the ratings. (and I don't mean showing previews of tonight's network programming and calling it news.)

    ReplyDelete

AD