support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, May 02, 2024

Sarah Pepper leaving Mix 96.5 Houston mornings

Sarah Pepper and Jessie Watt


Sarah Pepper announced today that she is leaving Mix 96.5 KHMX Houston's "The Morning Mix," where she co-hosts with Jessie Watt.

The Mix Morning duo just had their contracts renewed in 2023, but Pepper says she has to leave to care for her mother back in Indiana. 

In an emotional announcement on KHMX, Pepper explained her love for Houston and the tough decision she has made to leave:


"It is hard moving to a new city, and you only know two people and you are surrounded by 6 million strangers, but you all made Houston home. For me, it is the biggest small city that I have ever been a part of. And it breaks my heart to say that I have to leave. Because you have become my family. Not being here every day with you as a thought that I could have never imagined. But over the past couple of months, my mom's health has not been its best. And if you've been through this, you know that when your parents get old, it's really hard to accept the fact that they are getting old. And as hard as it is for me, my mom is not going to get any younger and neither is my daughter. I spent a lot of sleepless nights trying to figure out what was best. And if you've ever been in a position where you have to make the choice between your family and your job, it feels like there is no best decision.

But a very wise woman once told me to make a decision and then make that decision right. And I know the right decision is to take my mom and my family back to Indiana. I know that that's the right decision, but that doesn't mean that my heart doesn't break every time I say it out loud. Or I think about it when I'm driving through Houston because Houston is my home. I came here at 28 and I thought I'd be here five years max, and then I was going to move on to whatever my next venture was going to be. But this city has a crazy way of grabbing a hold of your heart, and there's something special about Houston, about the way Houston rallies and welcomes. And it really is one of those, if, you know, kind of situations. And I know how lucky that I am to have called Houston home for 16 years. And I love you all, and I want to thank you for giving me a second home, because this time, when I am leaving Houston, it is way more than 20 boxes. Houston is where my daughter was born. She'll always be a Houstonian. She is a born Texan, but unfortunately, I have to resign from my job here at Mix 96.5."


Pepper says she will not work in radio anymore, but will "raise money and and work with kids all at the same time."

Co-host Jessie Watt said:


"I've been just as speechless as you probably feel right now all week. And I know it feels like we are losing a member of our family. But the truth is, is that Sarah is making a really, really great decision for her family that I am proud of her for making, and I, I think you are too. And with social media, you'll never be too far away.


Sarah, we will miss you on air every morning. We will miss seeing you in the community, because we know how much Houston means to you. And now we get to share with you how much you mean to Houston."



Watt added there will be a goodbye party for Pepper on May 16th and to check back with the station for more details.

Pepper has two decades of experience in radio. Sixteen of those years were spent on Houston radio. 

She first came to Houston in 2008 to work with Booker on Houston's Hot 95.7 KKHH morning show from HOT 96 WSTO Evansville, Indiana.

Later, Booker moved to Mix 96.5 Mornings with Maria Todd, while Pepper stayed with Hot 95.7 and teamed up with PK and Ivan. Remember her "Whatcha doin' at the courthouse" segment?

When Hot 95.7 flipped to The Spot in December 2016, Pepper moved to The Morning Mix with Geoff Sheen and Lauren Kelly.

In 2019, Pepper's baby Parker was born.

Jessie Watt joined Pepper on the "The Morning Mix" in January 2020.

Pepper's outstanding contributions to the Houston community, particularly through charity and philanthropy, have earned her the Radio Personality of the Year Award from the Media Alliance of Houston in 2015, 2018, and 2022. She advocates for the LGBTQ+ community and has been honored as the Reader’s Choice Radio Personality of the Year by OutSmart Magazine for an impressive 13 consecutive years.

Pepper's voice resonates through the airwaves and at various sporting events across Houston. She serves as the in-stadium announcer for the Houston Dash, the city's professional women’s soccer team and events like the NCAA Final Four and the US Women's National Team matches. 





CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here