Marcelino Benito will anchor weeknights on KHOU 11's soon-to-debut 9 p.m. news on CW39 Houston KIAH, mikemcguff.com has heard from multiple sources.
Benito, no stranger to the KHOU anchor desk, previously co-anchored weekends until after his second child was born in May 2025.
I hear new KHOU meteorologist Trevor Birchett will handle weather most of the time on the new CW39 9pm news.
KHOU takes over the CW39 9pm newscast starting Saturday, August 29, 2026, and I understand weekend anchor Cheryl Mercedes will handle both stations' newscasts on Saturday and Sunday nights.
Back in July, I broke the news that KHOU 11 Houston would be taking over the CW39 KIAH 9pm news duties from ABC13 KTRK, which had been providing the newscast for the Nexstar Media Group stations since 2020.
As we wait for news on the Nexstar and TEGNA merger, this is the first sign of things to come if it happens.
- CW33 KDAF DFW gets a 9pm newscast again

