support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, May 06, 2022

Oscar Adame announces KRGV 5 retirement


Oscar Adame announced on the 6pm newscast that he is retiring from Channel 5 News KRGV Rio Grande Valley in late May 2022. Rudy Mireles took over as KRGV anchor.


"When I began my news career here at KRGV TV 23 years ago, it was a leap of faith. But it had been a dream of mine for many years to be part of the Channel 5 News team. Dream fulfilled and more. 

I can't express enough what it's been an honor to report and bring you the news of the day for all these years. 

I couldn't imagine ending my career at a better place. Channel five and my home...the Rio Grande Valley. And with that, I announced my retirement. 

I'll still be here for another few weeks. There's still some work to do. And I thought I would go quietly, but some of my co-workers have other plans, and you'll hear more about that in the days ahead."


Co-anchor Dina Herrera-Garza added, "Of course, we have other plans for you. You know, we wish you all the best. You're going to be so missed. It's been such a privilege. But I'm just glad to hear that you're here for a few more weeks." 

The 5, 6 and 10pm evening anchor joined KRGV in 1999. 

Before that, Adame worked as a mid-day personality for KRGV Radio.

The Valley native graduated from the University of Texas-Pan American and began his radio career in 1977.

Adame will have more time to spend with his grandchildren.  Granddaughter Madeline and grandson Cooper were born in 2021.



 

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here