support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Saturday, March 06, 2021

Delaine Mathieu exits News 4 San Antonio WOAI


Delaine Mathieu has announced on Facebook and YouTube that she is gone from News 4 San Antonio WOAI newscasts after 16 years with the station. The longtime 5pm TV news anchor says Tuesday was her last day on the air.

This comes after the much hyped news that San Antonio TV news veteran, and Mathieu's co-anchor, Randy Beamer retired from WOAI.  Mathieu was featured on WOAI's newscast Friday in a goodbye montage to Beamer.

How anchor Delaine Mathieu said goodbye to San Antonio TV viewers

In the video released Saturday, Mathieu offers a tearful goodbye to her colleagues and viewers.

Here is partial transcript of what she said in the video announcement:

"I'm going to keep watching. I'm a huge fan of News 4. I cannot wait to see what happens next and I don't know what I'm going to do next. I'm going to be painting a lot and probably drinking some wine and chillaxing the rest of my days.

This business is is high stress. High adrenaline. So we're mourning and so many levels, but it is, it's fast paced and I'm going to slow down and I'm going to enjoy my girls and I'm going to enjoy my husband. And cut my hair any frickin way I want to, and color it any way I want to, and wear whatever I want to and enjoy life.

But just know that I appreciate all of you for all the years that you've given me. So on that note, I'm going to say goodbye. Not goodbye, I'll see you later. Just not at 5:00 on news 4."

Sinclair Broadcast Group in the headlines

WOAI owner Sinclair Broadcast Group has been in the news this week announcing it was reducing its workforce by approximately 5% which amounts to more than 550 employees due to the pandemic. Mathieu did not mention this or explain the reason for her sudden departure.

"Here come more tears," morning WOAI meteorologist Jeannette Calle posted on Facebook. "Love this lady. Such a great story-teller. Also so caring, loving and passionate. Will also miss you dearly around the station."

"Retirements, next chapters in life...I understand and celebrate these occasions," chief WOAI meteorologist Chris Suchan posted on Facebook.  "It’s just tough to say goodbye. I will miss Randy & Delaine more than words can eloquently explain.  They’re both more than colleagues, they are family to me.  I know we’ll see each other from time to time whether over drinks or backyard grill outs...maybe the next art show “Delaine.”  But seriously, I truly hope you both enjoy the extra time with your families and all your new personal ventures ahead."

Mathieu recently started a website at delainemathieu.com.

Job after TV News and anchoring for News 4 San Antonio WOAI 

On May 19, 2021, Mathieu posted on Twitter that she was going to become a realtor:

"Chapter 2 begins! I'm extremely proud to have joined [Phyllis Browning Co.] to launch my new career in real estate!  It's an exciting time.  My 'set' has changed but my mission hasn't - I'm still here to help any way I can!"

The Phyllis Browning Company social media profile bio states that it has more than 200 real estate professionals in four offices, making it "San Antonio's largest independently-owned residential real estate company."

Mathieu's TV news biography

The Corpus Christ native joined WOAI around 2005 or so after working for WSVN Miami as the top rated "Today in Florida" anchor.

Before Florida, Mathieu worked:

- as an anchor/reporter for KAKE Wichita, Kansas

- as a reporter for KEYE Austin

- as anchor/reporter/producer for KRBC Abilene

The University of Texas at Austin grad interned for WOAI and CNN's Washington D.C. Bureau.

The award winning television news journalist has awards on her shelf including five Lone Star Emmy's and three Texas Associated Press (TAPME) awards.

RELATED
Simone De Alba takes over for Irene Cruz News 4 SA WOAI



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here