support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, January 11, 2021

Lily Jang on KHOU exit: "It devastated me"

Popular former KHOU 11 morning anchor Lily Jang returned to fill-in co-host KPRC 2's "Houston Life."  

You might have read last week that co-host Courtney Zavala has been quarantined at home taking care of her husband, Orlando, who is battling COVID-19.

One of the topics Jang talked to co-host Derrick Shore about was how she was able to survive her sudden departure from KHOU and turn it into a very successful career as a realtor:

"I came back to Houston in 2012 because my dad was sick. He had Parkinson's and I was able to get a job at a local TV station anchoring the morning news here. 

It was a dream job. 

And then in 2017, I mean reality hit, they cleaned house and I was a casualty so I had to figure it out. That was the end of my dream job. 

It devastated me first. I've talked about this so, so many times, but that was the most devastating thing that's happened to me up to that point. 

And I had to figure it out. 

And I said, you know, OK, I got to figure out my next scene. And it was real estate."

Sadly, Jang's father died last summer from COVID-19.

But on a positive note, Jang has become quite the force in the Houston real estate scene. A great post television news success story that we need to hear - especially in these times.

And to this very day years later, Jang's loyal channel 11 morning viewers still comment on my Facebook page about how angry they are she and Ron Trevino are no longer anchoring the news together. 

A hard broadcasting lesson for newscast viewers - TV isn't always a fair industry. 

Speaking of her post KHOU work, Jang returned to Vietnam for a documentary on Houston Public Media you can watch through the above link.  It's worth a watch for sure. 




CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here