support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, September 18, 2020

Scott Crowder, 740 KTRH anchor, reportedly passes away


660 AM The Answer KSKY Dallas talk host, Mark Davis, and former/current co-workers have posted to social media that 740 KTRH Houston afternoon news anchor Scott Crowder has died.
"Scott was one of the most colorful, entertaining news personalities I've ever heard or worked alongside," Grant Merrill of the Merrill Media Group added to Davis's tweet.  "He could create a newscast that would leave you hanging on every word and then ask 'is that all?' when he signed off. Just a wonderful broadcaster who will be missed."

As this point there are little details available.

UPDATE: Around 7:35am Friday, the team at KTRH's "Houston's Morning News" discussed Crowder's death on air. 

"I think if there were a place in the dictionary where you could put a picture next to acerbic wit you would find Scott Crowder's picture there," host Jimmy Barrett said. 

"I loved his voice, I loved his witticisms," added morning anchor Shara Fryer. "Very independent and a contrarian. And he had this love for the evolution of Great Britain, history, geography, battles. He got me all turned on to so many different British murder mysteries that I never knew I would. He had a thing about Plantagenets.  I just had a great time discussing anything and everything. I didn't get to work with him on the air but I will miss him."

According to his bio that was there Thursday night, Crowder was previously an afternoon anchor on WBAP 820 in Dallas - Fort Worth.  The St. Louis native had lived in Texas since 2002 and loved computers/technology, dogs and the NFL.

On a personal note, over the years Crowder has called me for KTRH interviews concerning media topics.  He was a great interviewer and always a class act when we would talk on the phone afterwards.  

No matter what was going on, Crowder had a calming, friendly approach to delivering the news over the radio. 

I contacted iHeartMedia Houston for more information, but have not heard back. 

*This post has been updated with the reaction of the KTRH morning show team on Crowder's death

(Thanks Tracee)




CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here