support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reporter covered Barack Obama in the early days

Todd Spivak of the Houston Press used to work in Chicago and covered Barack Obama way before he was a Senator. In fact at that point, Spivak says no one really knew who Obama was:

My view of Obama then wasn't all that different from the image he projects now. He was smart, confident, charismatic and liberal. One thing I can say is, I never heard him launch into the preacher-man voice he now employs during speeches. He sounded vanilla, and activists in his mostly black district often chided him for it.

I was 25 and had no problem interviewing big-wig politicians. But I always had to steel my nerves when calling Obama. His intelligence was intimidating, and my hands inevitably shook with sweat.

It was serendipity that I ever came to know Obama at all. Looking back, I think of it as a Forrest Gump moment: History was unfolding and I was at the center of it, clueless. It's a huge bummer to me that I never taped our interviews.


READ THE REST

Spivak also got yelled at by Obama for a story!

[via blogHOUSTON]

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here