support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

Runaway Radio Screenings
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming on Tubi!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

This is no longer the age of ‘having a face for radio’

Media convergence is a buzz word and it applies to this next subject. Facing pressure from other media, now radio DJs will have to accept a more visual approach, shooting video for their websites. The New York Times has more:
Ted Stryker, a D.J. at KROQ in Los Angeles, considers it a perk of the job to wear shorts and T-shirts to work. But last Sunday as he dressed for the Grammy Awards, he pulled out his best blazer and a flashy belt buckle, knowing three video cameras would stream live coverage of his show to the Web sites of 147 CBS radio stations.

“What’s great about radio is no one knows what you’re wearing,” Mr. Stryker said by telephone as he made his way through the throng at the Grammys. “I wanted to make myself a little bit more presentable.”

Mr. Stryker, who has done some TV work in the past, said that to create his best radio voice, he often must contort his face in embarrassing ways.

“It’s so different doing radio compared to TV,” he said. “Who knows what faces I make when I’m talking on the radio? I hope I’m not making the same faces today.”

Even back when I was a moron college radio DJ at KWBU, I could see this one coming. I even tried to put together a music video TV show with the DJs, but ran out of time. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here