Tuesday, August 28, 2012

KHOU's Dr. Neil Frank casts long shadow

Photobucket

No doubt Dr. Neil Frank is a great asset to KHOU 11. When storms in the Gulf of Mexico are brewing, the former Houston Belo station chief meteorologist is always in the reserves, ready to come back and lend his expertise from his years as the director of the National Hurricane Center (NHC) in Florida.

But there has been talk in the Houston TV community as Hurricane Isaac makes landfall...what do current KHOU 11 meteorologists Gene Norman, David Paul, Mario Gomez and Chita Johnson think of the above KHOU Facebook graphic while they're tracking the storm too?

Just so the current mets don't feel left out, I will promote the KHOU 11 weather team's big schedule change coming in September that I first broke a few weeks ago.

RELATED
- I wish I had a Neil Frank haircut - KHOU 11
- Former KHOU meteorologist Dr. Neil Frank talks Climategate
- Dr. Neil Frank to retire from KHOU Channel 11

9 comments:

  1. Meh. He hasn't been the head of the hurricane center in 25 years...a lot has changed since then, so that cred is kinda dated by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better yet, ask the weather folks at the other stations in town who got clobbered in the ratings as Neil Frank showed-up on Channel 11. Anyone TV types who snipe about this are usually on the losing end of the numbers. CBS was stupid to put Walter Cronkite in mothballs because he made Dan Rather nervous. That didn't work out too well. Channel 11 seems to have learned from that. If you've got the guy people trust, how stupid is it not to use him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only station in town that got clobbered in the ratings was KHOU. Their hurricane coverage WITH Dr. Frank tanked compared to KTRK who easily dominated the ratings. Imagine how bad their numbers could have been if the good doctor stayed home?

      Delete
  3. Neil Frank is God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed opinions about this. I was excited at first about Dr. Neil Frank coming back for the hurricane. But I listened to him and found that I like the other guys just as well. Neil Frank will not live forever. Frank needs to mentor some of these guys at 11. We need to see that happening.... If we do not and no NF....then they are forced to flip flop until someone else becomes the Big Weather Dude. How can these guys attain our respect as long as you keep bringing big daddy in to do the job? I am sure N. Frank loves the money... I grew up with Ron Stone as news anchor. My parents loved him. But as I grew up I found someone else that I like. Time to change and leave it up to the others to attain our respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I don't see how this undercuts Channel 11 weather people. By my count, they've got three or four of them. They're all pretty good. This would be like the Texans having a veteran running back that the crowd loves and who always scores, but not playing him because it makes the rookies feel unloved. My mom and dad knew Neil Frank at church--he's not a money guy. He just loves this stuff and that's why I think people watch him. Besides, do you think the stations besides Channel 11 wouldn't put him on TV if they could? I see Channel 2 has some other old guy expert I've never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know that he love his stuff. Great to hear for once it is not about money.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure Gene Norman was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's Dr. Neil Frank, He formerly worked as a chief meteorologist from 1987 to May 30, 2008, But now he came back for hurricane specials

    ReplyDelete

AD