Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can you hear me now?

Reader Art Smart facebooked me this note about some audio difficulties KTRK 13 had today:

"KTRK-DT channel 13.1 broadcast no audio from 11:25 until 11:57 AM today. I don't know about 13.2 or 13.3, or about the cable feed. A lower third graphic "Temporary Audio Difficulties" ran from 11:51 until 11:57 AM. I wonder if it took them upwards of 26 minutes to discover they had a problem. I also wonder if advertisers will get refunds."

After seeing how complicated TV station can be technologically, I am surprised we don't see this kind of thing more often. It does not happen in Houston, but go to a small TV market and you see all kinds of bizarre technical problems.

3 comments:

  1. I wondered what the crawl on the screen about "audio problems" was about. Didn't notice any audio issues, but sure noticed the notification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it only affected one segment of the audience then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based upon Paul's comment, the audio problem must only have affected the over-the-air signal, not cable or other feeds.

    When I worked at a college FM station, we had an alarm for dead air, and it even automatically triggered a tape to roll. That was 35 year ago. Surely all local stations have some way to automatically monitor their broadcast signal, without having to wait for viewers to call in.

    ReplyDelete