support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, May 26, 2023

Gina Gaston to leave the 10pm news


Gina Gaston announced on May 26, 2023 this would be her last time anchoring the abc13 KTRK 10pm newscast, but don't worry Gaston fans, she's still anchoring the 6pm news.

Here is a transcription of what Gaston said on "13 Eyewitness News at 10PM":


"Well, a personal news item tonight, but one that also affects you. This is my final appearance anchoring Eyewitness News at 10. 


Now, I'm not leaving. I'm just shifting to dayside. 


Twenty-one years it's been that I've been anchoring the news at 10:00, and it has been my great honor. 


Some of you work atypical hours, either early in the morning or perhaps late at night. And so you know that it can be tough missing out on simple things like dinner with your family or friends. So in this next chapter of my life, I want to make more space for my own health and well-being and my family and close friends. And this company is accommodating my wishes for which I am unbelievably grateful. 


So again, I am not retiring. Not retiring, not retiring. I'm not leaving. You will still see me at 6 p.m. and of course, I'll be filling in on other newscasts as well. 


I certainly appreciate all of the years that you've shared with me here at 10 p.m., including the people I saw tonight at Cleburne Cafeteria.  And I hope that you'll continue to watch my friends here at this time slot before you go to bed. 


So we'll see you next week, but in the early evening. And you gentlemen have been a pleasure to work with, along with those who have preceded you."




"Well, congratulations on this next chapter of your life," responded co-anchor Erik Barajas.   "You've been holding down the ten for many years here. Been through so many different versions of the 10 p.m. team. And you've always been the bright, shining, bright spot."

As I blogged earlier this week, Erica Simon announced last Sunday morning that she was moving to "Monday through Friday in the evenings." As I said before, multiple sources told me that Simon was heading to the 10pm.  No announcement was made on Gaston's final 10pm show on who would be taking over her anchor seat on the late news.  Will it be Simon as I have heard?  Stay tuned as we find out together.

Gaston has been been anchoring the 6pm and 10pm news since the early 2000s.

Spending most of her time with abc13, she started with the station in 1992 as a morning anchor, eventually leaving for MSNBC in 1999.  In June 2001, she returned to KTRK, first as a weekend anchor, then to anchor the debut of Eyewitness News at 4pm newscast with her former morning partner, Tom Koch.

Before Houston, Gaston worked as an anchor/reporter for ABC27 HTM Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and then 10 Tampa Bay WTSP in Tampa, Florida.

The University of Southern California grad started her TV career at KLTV 7 Tyler.

Gaston is married to Houston Rockets legend and NBA champion, Mario Elie. They are proud parents of triplets.

Gina Gaston's triplets featured on KPRC


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here