support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Loyd Overcash, Houston TV stringer, loses cancer battle


Loyd Overcash, who I have heard was one of the early Houston TV news photographer stringers (freelance news camera for hire), lost his battle to cancer according to Scott Engle of the Montgomery County Police Reporter.  

Engle writes that Overcash died last Sunday with funeral services pending.

Not only did Overcash have a giant impact on the Houston TV news business, but he also was a still photographer that captured many memories for Houstonians.  

He will also be remembered for his love of amateur astronomy.



Here are some remembrances of Overcash who knew him over the years:

TJ Aulds told mikemcguff.com:

"Loyd was one of those guys you always heard about when working in Houston TV news. He was mythical to me when I started working on the desk at NEWS 24 Houston. 

And I went years in the business before I actually met him in person while at a nephew’s Little League picture day. 

I had no idea this grisly news veteran was also a youth sports photog. It was like discovering that the rock star you so admired truly was the guy you thought he would be. 

He was a solid visual story teller, but also so knowledgeable about Houston. 

His descriptions of scenes helped me so much help tell our staff and in turn our viewers the story. His words were as good as the content he provided."


Chris McDonald told mikemcguff.com:

"Loyd was the first news videographer stringer I took a call from when I moved from 6 years as a photographer at KRIV to Nightside assignments editor. 

He was consistently cordial, professional and he shot video and sound with high standards and always delivered on time. His wit and sense of humor was contagious.  

The world lost a great man!"


John Mizwa told mikemcguff.com:

"Loyd was a kind, and generous person, whom I’ve known for 35+ years!   

I’ve had the distinct pleasure of working for him at Loyd’s Photography, and along side him covering the news!  

He was a consummate professional, mentor, always fun to be around, and most importantly a true friend!  

Thank you Loyd for all of the good times!  I will see you on the other side!"


Scott Myers posted on Facebook:

"A sad day in the Extended Family of HOUSTON NEWS MEDIA... I got word that the "Godfather of News Stringers" passed away this morning.... Lost his battle with cancer... Lloyd Overcash we may not have always seen eye-to-eye, but we did have respect for each other's news hustle & game... Over the years I picked up on some of your tricks of the trade... We went from frenemies to pals... Thanks for all the laughs sir.... R.I.P. Lloyd Overcash...."


UPDATE

Scott Myers posts that Overcash's funeral will be Saturday, May 14, 2022 at Spring Baptist Church - 633 E. LOUETTA RD., SPRING TX  77373

Visitation: 10am to 11am

Service: 11am


 

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here