support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, August 09, 2021

Stuart Stanley has died

It's being announced on social media that former abc13 KTRK reporter Stuart Stanley, 56, died over the weekend.

A memorial service will be held Wednesday, August 11, 2021 from 1pm to 5pm at Brookside Funeral Home - Champions, 3410 Cypress Creek Parkway, Houston, TX 77068. has been postponed.

UPDATE AUGUST 18, 2021
Channel 13 reports that Stanley died of COVID-19.  The family has started a Gofundme for funeral expenses.

Stanley worked at channel 13 Houston from 1995 to 1999. In 2018, I posted a video from YouTube that showed off Stanley reporting live from a breaking news scene.

After leaving the TV news business in 1999, Stanley used his great broadcasting pipes to do voiceovers for the city of Houston and Other outlets.

Stanley later turned to education, joining Carthage ISD as a director of communications. 

He was currently working for New Caney ISD in a communications role and as a lecturer with the University of Houston. 

The Stephen F. Austin grad started in TV at KLSB in East Texas and moved to WAAY Huntsville, Alabama before joining KTRK.

Blake Holland, who anchors the 5 and 6pm newscasts for KLTV 7 Tyler, TX, wrote a nice remembrance of Stanley for mikemcguff.com readers:

I knew Stuart during his time as the Director of Communications for Carthage ISD. He was there from 2010 to 2013. Stuart’s office was in the CHS-TV studio, and for many students it was the best classroom at Carthage HS. I never had a lunch in the CHS cafeteria, only in Stu’s office. 

I came into high school knowing I wanted to be a broadcast journalist, and Stuart quickly became my mentor. He and his wife, Mariana, took me in the summer after my freshman year of high school allowing me the opportunity to intern with Mariana at HTV, the municipal channel. 

Through the years, Stuart was the person I called on for career advice. I now work as the 5&6 pm anchor at KLTV 7 in Tyler. Stuart was my first call after I got the job offer, and my first call when my I signed a new contract last year. I trusted him to help me make the big decisions. 

I last saw Stuart last month at my wedding. He was the first guest to arrive. Stuart changed my life, and I’m forever grateful that his office door was wide open.
 



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here