support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Two big San Antonio TV departures

Longtime KSAT 12 anchor/reporter Paul Venema has announced he will be retiring sometime this spring after 47 years with the station.

“My decision to retire was based primarily on my desire to spend more time with my family who have loved and supported me through my career,” Venema said on the station's website.

Venema started with the station in 1969 as a weekend anchor and later helmed the 5, 6 and 10pm newscasts, but really enjoyed being a reporter.

And it doesn't get anymore Texas than one of Venema's good friends, Willie Nelson.

“Paul is a legend," KSAT anchor Steve Spriester said on the station's site. "KSAT viewers have witnessed his professionalism and journalistic excellence, but I also appreciate his friendship. Paul has a great sense of humor and just a genuineness to him that I will miss greatly. I wish him nothing but the best."

“In a world where it’s all about relationships, Paul has been able to develop great relationships inside the station and across the community," added KSAT news director Bernice Kearney. "He’s a legend at KSAT, as well as at the Bexar County Courthouse and the Justice System. Through his reporting, Paul has made all of us smarter – turning complex legal issues into easy-to-understand stories that our audience appreciates. But that’s the professional stuff. Personally, Paul is a true Renaissance Man… yes, he knows the legal system, but he also loves music, can strike up a conversation with anyone and is a real jokester!” 

Denise Cabello leaves News 4 San Antonio WOAI "San Antonio Living"

Also leaving the Alamo City television airwaves is News 4 San Antonio WOAI "San Antonio Living" co-host Denise Cabello.

Here is what Cabello posted on Instagram:

"After 8 years, I’m leaving WOAI/KABB. 

In those 8 years, I found my loving husband @eatingwithevan. 

We started our beautiful family with our amazing daughter, Izzy. I have built powerful friendships that will last a lifetime. 

I am so proud to have told the stories of a city that I love. 

Thank you for the endless support. I’ll still be around so keep up with me."

Born and raised in San Antonio, Cabello started as a San Antonio Living intern according to her bio.  

She moved her way up to production assistant, social media reporter, associate producer/editor to the show's co-host.



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here