support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

Runaway Radio Screenings
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming on Tubi!

Friday, May 29, 2020

Madd Hatta interviewed on "The Jimbo Podcast"


There have been lots of questions about what happened to the Madd Hatta Show on 97.9 The Box (2001 to 2019) at the end of 2019?

The show just disappeared followed by the premiere of "Good Morning H-Town" with Jerrel ‘Hardbody Kiotti’ Brown and Keisha Nicole in January.

Longtime Madd Hatta Morning Show player Jim Beazy, now going by Jim "Jimbo" Kovacik, is giving us a few more answers with his new "The Jimbo Podcast."

The first episode featured an interview with none other than Madd Hatta himself (partial transcript below) where the two talk about the last years of the show:

Jimbo: You know, I do miss these, these great conversations we used to have everyday we still talk and text but uh...

Madd Hatta: The conversations weren't really that good.

Jimbo: {Laughs}

Madd Hatta: Here's the truth, man. We just threw some stuff up against the wall and hoped we did out best and hoped it stuck. Sometimes it would stick, sometimes it didn't.

Jimbo: What do you miss about doing the everyday thing?

Madd Hatta: This is the sad part, Jim, and I don't miss...you know what I miss...I miss getting my check every month. But that's the way I was always anyway. I was on a spinning wheel, as we all were. And all these years, I had been on a spinning wheel of go to work, take care of your family, do your community and that's all I knew. I didn't ever even one...you know...the decision was made...I made the decision to just walk away from it...I didn't even anticipate people really liked us. You know what I'm saying? I never thought about it until we were we were gone one day and then we took that picture and people were going, 'Oh, we miss ya'll.' Like, 'Oh they liked us.'

Jimbo: It's that don't know what they've got till it's gone thing, you know?

Madd Hatta: Well, no, it's not even that. I think we were so...I think as a crew...because some of the bad things that happened, we were so drawn to the negativity.

Jimbo: Yeah, yeah.

Madd Hatta: Several, several years we were only...we were only into the negative. So we didn't think about the love, so to speak. We only...we wrapped ourselves in this blanket of hate. So we could only see when somebody would say something negative, something bad was happening. And we really...well I'm going to speak for myself. So I didn't really enjoy the last two years. The last two years weren't a big joy for me. I wasn't getting joy out of it because the last 10 years were just miserable, worrying about people hating you and, you know, just this bad stuff. So the joy that I had once got in it for back in the 90s and the early 2000s, it just wasn't there no more. So to answer your question, what do I miss? I don't miss any of that. I really don't. I don't miss any of that. I do...here's what I miss. And I said this on my Instagram page, and I know, you know, I miss us being there when things like the virus.

Jimbo: Yeah, that's the thing.

Madd Hatta: Or Kobe passing. Even what's my man, Curly Neal, passing away. That hurt. You know, we were the source of information that, you know, and I know there was some programmers that didn't believe that we needed to give that information, but I'd always fight to give certain information and we did that. And so during these times, I expect me and you and Mac to be at work while everybody else is taking care of their families. And we are sacrificing and being the voice of reason during...I mean...just the the truth of it, Jim, I would have been dumb enough to still probably still been at the station every day through this virus and probably never would have got home. Just make sure that my kids were OK.

Jimbo: I know. I know that's true.


--------end of partial transcript--------

Madd Hatta told Jimbo he has a new album ready to go but said he doesn't think during the pandemic is the right time to release music.

Other Jimbo Podcast interviews include actor and Howard Stern favorite Ike Barinholtz, musician/comedian/impressionist/legend and former co-worker Jay Lamont, Houston radio legend Shelley Wade and Texas Radio Hall of Famer Johnny Goyen.

Speaking of Goyen, Jimbo recently replaced the hall of famer during the morning shift on Houston Radio Platinum, an online radio station.




CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here