support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Brian Rogers to depart from the Houston Chronicle


Houston Chronicle Legal Affairs Reporter Brian Rogers told me has has put in his two weeks notice to leave the newspaper and change careers.

"When I came to the Houston Chronicle in 2006 to cover courts, it was my dream job, and I loved it," Rogers told mikemcguff.com. "But things change, and I’ve changed."

One thing that has changes is that Rogers recently got engaged. Now he thinks it's time to do a career pivot into law.

"It makes me sad to leave my friends and colleagues at the newspaper, but I’m excited to announce I am opening my own law practice focusing on, but not limited to, criminal law—specifically helping people navigate the criminal justice system, writing appeals and assisting other lawyers at trial," Rogers added.

The newspaper reporter earned his JD from Texas Tech University School of Law in 2005. Even though his courtroom time will change from an observer to a participant, he is not fully turning his back on the journalism world.

"I actually plan to still do a lot of writing, including fiction, nonfiction and maybe freelance journalism," Rogers told me. "I may even end up doing some writing for the Chronicle and other media. Even though I’m transitioning to a new role in criminal justice, I hope to maintain my solid relationships with old friends and colleagues. I’m not slamming the door on my long career in journalism, I’m just moving on to a new path."

Rogers' entrance into newspapers began in 2000 at The Odessa American.

He left in 2002 to go to law school. One he passed the bar, he was an open records attorney at the Texas Attorney General's Office for a year.

Then it was off to the Houston Chronicle where he developed a passion for face tattoos among many other accomplishments.



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here