support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Ryan Chase of 104.1 KRBE diagnosed with prostate cancer

104.1 KRBE Roula and Ryan Show's Ryan Chase battling prostate cancer


Sad news to report from the Roula and Ryan Show at 104.1 KRBE. Host Ryan Chase told listeners this morning that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Here’s the audio and a statement from Ryan talking about his diagnoses this morning on the Roula and Ryan Show.

I have decided recently that it is time to come clean and tell everyone about a health issue I have been dealing with. I have had this conversation with immediate family and now I feel like informing everyone. I always preface this chat with "I am not dying." My health had been poor for quite some time and even after making radical diet changes and clean living, I found my health was worsening.

In early July I had a complete blood work done and wanted to find out what I could do to feel better. My PSA levels (prostate specific antigen), should have been in the 0-4 range, but came back at 18. I was advised to go to a urologist. After a prostate exam, a large mass was found. Then I had a biopsy and it was indeed prostate cancer. It was in an advanced state and I have probably had this in me for years. About 20 minutes before boarding a plane for a radio conference, my doctor called and informed me that my PSA levels had risen and my Gleason score was high enough for them to be concerned that the cancer had metastasized to my bones and lymphatic system. I then had to schedule a bone scan and CT. I had to wait nine days to find out if I was stage four or not. At no point did I shed tears thinking this could be "lights out." All I could think of was how my death would destroy my daughter. I have always said I love her more than life itself and this was proof positive. Those were nine long days. Thank God the cancer was confined and that is more than I could ask for. It is rare for a man of my age to have this and It is attributed to either genetics, or a lifetime of processed foods. (I believe the latter). Emotionally it was a hard pill to swallow fearing that I would never function properly as a man again. After meeting with my oncologists, I am taking the necessary steps to live as normal a life as I can.

Rather than choose surgery, I opted for hormone therapy and radiation. Given family history, I also had a colonoscopy asap. (Had to be done prior to radiation). The hormone therapy and drugs have been unpleasant, but I have not missed work. Hot flashes, fatigue, scrambled thoughts, and radical mood swings have been side effects. The shot kills testosterone and the therapy lasts about six months. I am going through what is similar to menopause. (Manopause). Three weeks ago I had what are called "gold seed markers" surgically implanted in me to help target the radiation. I was tattooed and started radiation yesterday. It will last for nine weeks, (five days a week). Believe it or not, I really do feel blessed. This is a speedbump on the road of life. Nothing more! I will not get preachy on diet, but I will never go back to eating processed foods and will not take my health for granted. I initially hid this from everyone for the first six weeks before I knew what the final outcome would be. I felt it unnecessary to worry people till I had all the facts. The facts are: I have a 95% chance I will be cancer free for the next ten years after the treatment is completed in January. Thank you for listening to this stream of consciousness confession. I will be fine. I now look at people very differently. There is always someone who has it a hell of a lot worse than you. I am extremely lucky and now try to always be aware that I don't know what kind of day a person might be having or what kind of problems they might be facing. My problems are nothing compared to what others have. I am just so lucky that life goes on.

Thank you!
Ryan


RELATED
Mike McGuff interviews Roula and Ryan about their radio careers

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here