support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Anchor Alan Hemberger no longer with KIAH 39


OCTOBER 21, 2013
Alan Hemberger has died

If you haven't seen anchor Alan Hemberger on KIAH 39's news lately, you are not hallucinating. Hemberger, who has most recently been sitting on the anchor desk during the weekends, is no longer with the station (although his bio is still on the KIAH 39 website at the time of this writing).

"We'll let Houston's news directors decide if in fact I'm retired," Hemberger told the mikemcguff.com blog. "We'll see if anyone needs part time, nightside, or weekend help. Or if I only have a face for radio."

Hemberger, along with Sherry Williams (now at KHOU 11), was part of the original anchor team in channel 39's latest incarnation of news. Before that he was a popular anchor on Houston's KTRK 13 Live at 5 with Melanie Lawson. He's also worked in Austin and San Antonio too.

What you might not know is that Hemberger was also a reporter on Entertainment Tonight in the 1980s.

On a personal note, I have to mention how gracious Hemberger was to me when I interned at KTRK in the mid 1990s. I never forgot that and I think it is an important lesson for today's broadcasters.

Hemberger has had a great career and I am sure it will continue into the future. I contacted Tribune Company (the owners of KIAH) about Hemberger but the media representative did not get back with me.

I leave you with a very funny report Hemberger filed while at KTRK.

OCTOBER 21, 2013
Alan Hemberger has died


CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here