support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, August 10, 2007

Why it can be hard to do your job

Miya Shay has an example of how it can be hard for a TV crew to do its job:

This time, he interrupts our Starbucks interview, accuses me of harassing customers, and then says "That's it, I'm calling the police!" before storming off.

READ THE REST

Ahhh, the glamorous life of television.

Every TV person has loads of these stories so I will share one with you. One time as a cub reporter I was doing a live shot in front of a house where a man had killed his wife and shot himself in the head earlier in the day. The SWAT team shot tear gas inside the home to end the standoff the man was having with officers. There was a greenish looking film all over the house because of this.

By the time news time rolled around a crew was in the house cleaning it up. We had set the live truck up across the street from the house so it would be in the background. I was standing in front of the camera waiting for the show to start which was about to happen in a matter of seconds. I was the lead that day. The photographer was doing something in the live truck so I was the only visible person at that point. All of a sudden, one of the house cleaning crew members came out and said, "Get that f------ camera off me or I will smash it!"

The odd thing was the camera wasn't even pointing at him. My response threw him off when I said, "Go ahead, it's not my camera." Instead of pursuing this further with me, he just walked off.

Crisis avoided, live shot achieved. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here