support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Thanks I Never Gave

Ed Brandon walks away from the weather wall today for the last time. It's no secret to those of you who read Mike's blog regularly. I will miss him.

The Poynter Institute is a think tank for journalism training. One of the faculty, Jill Geisler, wrote a letter to the television newsroom she was leaving years ago entitled, The Good Ones. You should read all of it, but in part, she wrote:

(The good ones) come to this craft for all the right reasons.
For the learn-something turn-around-teach-something dance done daily under deadline.
For the chance to do some good.


Ed is one of the good ones. A weather forecaster by trade, but I believe a news man by birth. I've been with Ed in more news meetings than I wanted to attend. With his seniority and position in the newsroom he didn't have to show up at these, let alone offer his history or perspective, but he did and our newscast was better for it. He was a great person to have in our newsroom. I never thanked him for it, but I am now.

We're losing more than a funny and talented forecaster - decades of history are leaving the building today and Ed will be hard to replace. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here