support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Watching movies below the surface is fun

We went over to Greenway this weekend to see Friends with Money. I went anyway even though I knew Jennifer Aniston was in it. No, I don't have anything against her personally, but she can turn out some real clunkers.

However I did like her in Office Space and The Good Girl. Since FWM was playing at a Landmark theater, I figured this movie must fall in line with the more independent spirit of those other two. I was right, it was a good movie. Here is the description from movies.com:
Olivia (Aniston) quit her teaching job and now cleans houses for a living while continuing her seemingly endless quest to find a decent guy. Her three friends are more fortunate, at least on the surface. Jane (McDormand) is a successful designer, but she's growing apart from her husband, Aaron (McBurney). Christine (Keener) is a screenwriter, but her spouse, Patrick (Isaacs), is getting grouchier by the day. Franny (Cusack) and Matt (Stephenson) are independently wealthy, but all the extra money has left them bored and alienated.
The theater was about half full. For Greenway, it was a near sell out! I've been there before when there were less than five people in attendance and that included us! I actually like that - a private movie theater. But it also worries me, I don't want that place to close. I like the underground/independent thing - no pun intended on the underground part. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here