support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, August 04, 2017

KPRC 's Justin Stapleton hits the comedy stage with wild socks blazing

KPRC 2 meteorologist Justin Stapleton talks hitting the comedy stage, wild socks and his new podcast


If you thought KPRC 2 meteorologist Justin Stapleton is good on TV, wait till you see him on the comedy club stage!

Instead of channel 2, it'll be a 2 drink minimum. Hey, I'll be here all weekend!

Wednesday, August 9th, 7 to 9pm at the Houston Improv, Stapleton will hit the stage with other comics to benefit The Altus Foundation, "a 501c non-profit organization that exists to provide access for low income families and individuals to premium healthcare services through exemplary care coordination, premium educational programs, and financial support."

Stapleton talked to me about the upcoming gig, his penchant for colorful socks and his new podcast!

Mike McGuff: How did you get involved with the Altus Foundation to do standup comedy for the non-profit?

Justin Stapleton: Owen Conflenti performed in the fundraiser last year and I went to support him, thought it was an awesome idea and it’s a great foundation. Given my background in mental health, it was a no-brainer to get involved with a foundation that allows people access to healthcare.

MM: Have you ever done standup before?

JS: Never! But there’s got to be a first time for everything, right? LOL. I’ve always loved stand-up, going to see it live and the closest I ever had to it was performing comedy improv in college with the local troop at Miami University in Ohio when I was a student there.

MM: If you had to compare your standup act to a noteworthy comedian, who would it be?

JS: Hmmmm, tough call, I’d say a highly medicated Robin Williams

MM: I notice you like decorative socks, how did that collection start?

JS: I’ve created a monster with the socks. I bought a pair of purple argyle ones about a year ago just to try something different and posted the pic on social media on a whim and people really responded well to it. So I started buying a few more and then it really took off. In fact, now, I have people that will stop me on the street or in the store and are genuinely disappointed when I don’t have funky socks on!


MM: You have a new podcast...tell us about it.

JS: I do! It’s called the Soon To Be Named Podcast and it’s tailored around dudes. We talk about Houston sports, men’s fashion, jobs, trends, men’s health, and just general cool guy things. I like to think of it topics that guys would find interesting without having to pick up those Cosmo and Us Weekly magazines in the grocery line.




CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here