Wednesday, September 16, 2015

KTRH's Matt Patrick diagnosed with cancer #sandboxstrong

740 KTRH and 950 KPRC host Matt Patrick diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus

Matt Patrick
Matt Patrick
In an emotional announcement on NewsRadio 740 KTRH this morning, Matt Patrick told his audience that he has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer.

"In Houston, there is no better place to be treated for what I'm being treated for," Patrick said on air. "It is the place that people come from all over the world. That is why God brought me here."

The first person Patrick said he called Friday after learning of the diagnoses was his co-host Shara Fryer. You might remember Fryer is a cancer survivor.

"She has been an incredible friend to me," Patrick said.

"I have a broken heart, but a very strong spirit on your behalf," Fryer told Patrick.

The KTRH morning man went on to thank his family, the iHeartMedia Houston staff and all of his listeners for their support.

Patrick acknowledges this will be a tough fight, but says so many more have even tougher events to cope with in their lives. He mentioned the grieving family of the murdered Deputy Darren Goforth and the families of the school bus victims who lost their lives Tuesday.

While the cancer battle might take him out of the studio some, Patrick says he does have a studio at his house for the days when he can still broadcast, but not make it in for his KTRH and 950 KPRC shows.

"I will fight like hell," Patrick added.

You can show your support for Patrick with the #sandboxstrong hashtag. Listen to Patrick's own words below.

RELATED
Bob Allen diagnosed with cancer



11 comments:

  1. Matt you and your family will be in our prayers...I know you can fight this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. brassealr@yahoo.com9/16/2015 05:03:00 PM

    you have a great attitude and will come out a better person on the other side buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fight you can win, Matt. My dad had esophageal cancer, was treated at MDA, and has been cancer free for 16 years. I'm in your corner, buddy!!! Stay strong...

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's definitely a nutjob when it comes to politics, but I still hope he beats it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers and best wishes Matt Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers and best wishes to you Matt Patrick. I listen to your show every morning. We will be here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew Matt a long time ago. We lived in the same city, a neighborhood in Cleveland Heights. Even back then, Matt had a larger than life personality. He was always a kind
    and caring person who made me laugh all the time. I have not seen Matt for about 10 years. The last time I saw him was at Blossom Music Center. I am saddened by the news of his illness and I wish him all the best. I will pray for him and his family everyday. God Bless you Matt. If by some chance you see this, you loved my dad's 1969 Javelin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've thoroughly enjoyed Matt's shows since his arrival here and am impressed with his passion and abilit to talk of his previous struggled and conquering of alcohol addiction. I am pulling for him and his family. I'm looking forward to seeing him kick cancer's a$$.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy listening to you so much in the morning. You are my favorite radio host (along with Shara. Just wanted you to know I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm currently battling Burkett's lymphoma and being treated with aggressive chemotherapy. I have been blessed with a great oncologist ,friends and family whom have been my flashlights thru this darkness. I can honestly say that I have had some smooth treatments with few side effects. Remember it's a war we are fighting and each battle can be won. God bless

    ReplyDelete