Tuesday, July 17, 2012

103.7 KHJK becomes Air 1

UPDATE FROM AIR1

Air1 Radio Network announced today the addition of 103.7 KHJK-FM Houston. The station is scheduled to flip to Air1 at 5pm CST.

Paul Goldsmith, Air1 Program Director, stated, “Houston is a world class city and we are thrilled to be here. When Air1 added KZAR-FM/San Antonio last winter, the response was Texas-sized, and it quickly became the most listened to station in the Air1 network.
We expect the response to be even greater in H-town. Texans love Air1 and we love
them!”

Air1’s Christian CHR format is carried on 105 stations and listened to by over 2 Million people each week.

For more information, visit: www.air1.com.

UPDATE 2

Former KSBJ afternoon jock Liz Jordan will be voicetracking weekends on the Air1 network per her blog.

Here is when you can hear Liz Jordan on Air1:

Saturdays 10 a.m. – 2p.m. CST
Sundays 3 p.m. – 8 p.m CST

-------------------------------------------------

Cumulus' 103.7FM Houston’s Adult Alternative – KHJK-FM has deleted its Facebook and website. Sign of an impending format switch for the troubled signal that has a hard time covering the Houston radio market.

Reports have said the former JACK and 103.7 KIOL KLOL clone will now broadcast the satellite Christian network Air1.

Owned by EMF Broadcasting, Air1 is a non-commercial radio network and is branded as "The Positive Alternative." It plays Christian artists from Switchfoot and Relient K to tobyMac and the Fray.

Air1 is the sister station to K-LOVE (where Mike Kankelfritz now works) which sounds more like KSBJ. Air1 would sound more like NGEN (another KSBJ station).

Before the station went off the air, the old KHJK staff tweeted to vote them station of the year in the Houston Press Music Awards.

BREAKING... MORE COMING

http://www.air1.com/

30 comments:

  1. All the more reason to head on over to http://www.Rock101KLOL.com to get your Rock & Roll. Great article Mike... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Excited Houston will have Air1 and even more excited about Liz Jordan. However in some ways it will be more sad than happy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang I'll miss KHJK, i have nothing against this new format, but we already have KSBJ/NGEN. We don't need another. Man I hope someone resurrects KHJK somewhere else soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello 94.5 The Buzz then, I can't stand Air 1, much less KSBJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please we don't need this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KHJK 103.7 needs to come back!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so mad this morning I can spit. They take the only cool radio station in Houston and change it to christian rock?!?! I'm speechless. Where can we protest this injustice?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem about protesting this is that, protesting a Christian rock station borderlines religious intolerance. The only hope is that someone bring back AAA somewhere else. My only hope is that 97.1 changes to that. It's perhaps the only likely scenario.

      Delete
    2. Yeah I couldn't believe my ears this morning. We lost 106.9 and now 103.7. If getting rid of air1 is religious intolerance, then what about getting rid of a top 40 station?

      Delete
    3. Now you can't tick off teenage girls. Bahahahaha!

      But really I hope 97.1 or better yet a Spanish station oddly enough turns into an AAA station. I know Univision is on the road of selling a couple of their stations, let's hold hope.

      Delete
    4. I am so upset & heartbroken that the only radio station in Houston that played good music is gone! I am so upset...how can we get them back.

      Delete
  8. Are you kidding me? This sucks!! 103.7 was a great station that really offered something between 96.5, 104.1, The Eagle, and The Arrow. Where can we now go for adult alternative radio? Christian is fine, but to take over 103.7 hurts!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please let us know where Steve Robison and Donna Mac land. I was so glad to hear them again when the station came online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Second that.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I hear about their next gig, you'll read it here. Just met Donna a couple of weeks ago. Super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope I don't see Donna Mac take my order like Wendy Miller did one time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.thedumpradio.com is a station I started after 106.9 The Zone was trashed. It uploads live 24/7 like a real station from my office in Houston, to the Shoutcast server in Chicago where it's been heard all around the world. I think it's a year old now too it's been a while but it still runs on the same old DELL PC that I got out of a dumpster. I've never done live voiceovers or anything but it runs like a live station. So it cuts out for example if the office DSL cuts out. It's the closest thing to being real in my mind other than that it's an internet station. (It's full licensed by Loud City)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also voted for 103.7 in the Houston Press poll, maybe they'll win, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder how Jeremy Lin would react to this?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still pissed off that 103.7 is off the air. There is NOTHING to listen to in Houston anymore. And no, I don't want to get an iPod or satellite radio. I don't want all the distractions while I'm driving, just a God Damn radio station that played the same music 103.7 FM did, not this "Christian alternative" crap that is on now. Nobody is happy about this change. Remember what Hank Hill said: "Can't you see you're not making Christianity better? You're just making rock n' roll worse!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% - I'm lucky to hear one song that I want to listen to as I constantly flip through my pre-sets (which 103.7 is no longer). Sucks.

      Delete
    2. Nobody?? I happen to be extremely excited to have Air1 on 103.7 They play a better overall music style than NGEN does. I've waited for a few years now to have Air1 come to Houston. Sorry about your loss but there are a lot of excited listeners for Air1

      Delete
    3. You said it perfectly! yeah! Thanks!

      Delete
    4. Totally agree! Thanks for your well spoken and agreed upon thoughts!

      Delete
  17. Well, this is disappointing. I started listening to KHJK online after our AAA station in Cincinnati switched to country (WNNF was modeled after KHJK). I guess this means I'm again on the search for a new radio station...

    ReplyDelete
  18. i am very happy about the change. God's amazing music is always better know matter what people say God is great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Air1 is great for Houston! Out of Cali and needed here! Welcome to H-town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been listening to Air 1 for a long time.. I started listening in 2002 I live here in the Phoenix metro an I get air 1 here on 89.9 its really positive an uplifting music an i'm thankful for it being on the air... God is good

      Delete
  20. I found this station 4 weeks ago and I love it.

    ReplyDelete

AD