Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fox 26 KRIV promotes mikemcguff.com on prime time TV

Fox 26 KRIV is my new favorite Houston TV station. Why? They promote the heck out of my blog for free...even in prime time during FOX programming!

 Essentially I've become the Roger Ebert of Fox 26. I post something about the television station on my blog, then the station takes a quote from that post and uses it in a promo. Just like how a movie studio uses a film critic's quotes on movie posters.

 You never knew that this little free blogger.com account blog really was the arbiter of taste and culture for Houston did you? Me neither. But I like it. In fact I am planning on sending the KRIV creative services director a cookie bouquet.

 The latest mikemcguff.com Fox 26 promo is one touting new Fox 26 anchor Don Teague:





The promo was taken from this post. I decided not to name the candidates because if I was applying for a job, I wouldn't want it all over a blog when I didn't get it. Although if I had named names, maybe KRIV would have put up a billboard on 59 and 610 with a quote from me on it!

 The previous Mike McGuff Fox 26 promo ran after last November's elections. That meant I got exposure for the blog on both Fox 26 and 39 KIAH since I was a freelance reporter there at the time. I found the timing amusing.

 


If I play my cards right, Fox 26 might hire me as a station spokesperson. Think back to the classic Ernest P. Worrell (RIP Jim Varney) KPRC 2 campaign from the 1980s.

 (Thanks Molly!)

13 comments:

  1. KRIV doesn't hire anyone behind the scenes these days, except for sales folks. I'm actually surprised they filled Barajas's old chair. There seems to be a much bigger exit than an entrance there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Mike Barajas really go to KTUU in Anchorage, AK? I hope so since I will be redeployed from the Houston area to the Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson in AK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as Natalie Bomke is there, KRIV will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sleepy Eyes Spaulding looks so out of place in that anchor chairK...but great job to McGuff on the citations from KRIV -- is always nice to get mentioned for your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Careful McGuff, You're dancing with the devil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice!

    What? You don't hear the promos for you on my show?? "Mike McGuff..blogger on 'roids...he knows news before it happens...does the dude ever sleep?...bookmark his blog NOW!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the thing tho that TV promotions people don't get: viewers DON'T CARE how many Emmys you have, etc. Show 'em you're good at what you do and they'll watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. George Bomke? Puhleeze. Annoying and hard on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2 emmys isn't very much anyway. Ask Greg Groogan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whenever someone says they have gone "big time" it makes me wonder what they were just prior to the announcement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did end up sending the KRIV creative services department an Edible Arrangement of chocolate covered oranges and apples.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the millionth time, Mike is a close friend and neighbor and he is NOT not has he ever been to Alaska and on KTUU. Check out the anchor bios. He's not on it. He has kids and a family here and would never move there. Mike, you should contact him and set the record straight. Too many people like about Mr. Barajas. Or just ask Erik. He will tell you. We all went golfing recently. http://www.ktuu.com/about/meetnewsteam/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anon at 8/15/2011 08:34:00 AM,

    If you really went golfing with Mike then maybe you would sign your real name. What's that you don't want to? Hmm, I don't know if I can believe you. Maybe I will continue to know what I know.

    ReplyDelete