Monday, August 16, 2010

Gary Jaffe is new KIAH 39 Imaginator for NewsFix

Gary Jaffe has been announced as the new KIAH 39 Tribune Company NewsFix Imaginator multiple station sources tell me.

This guy has one hell of a resume.

He has produced films and was part of the launch team for The Tube Music Network (which aired on 39.2). Jaffe also worked in TV stations (CBS4 WFOR/UPN33) and has run his own production company called Concept Vision Media, Inc.

Jaffe starts the KIAH 39 NewsFix revolution August 23rd. I mean by that he starts at the station. NewsFix won't reportedly debut until October.

Maybe next time I apply for a job, I won't spend so much time blogging about the process. I never actually got around to applying since I was still getting suggestions as of today (was planning on the doing the deed tomorrow).

Oh well, this guy sounds like he has good experience for this gig. I also imagine Tribune Company had its eye on Jaffe for a while already considering how fast he was hired.

KIAH 39 dumps traditional newscasts


  1. Mike McGuff, I am still incredibly skeptical and confused about this whole deal. Just the sound of "imaginator" in regards to news coverage really concerns me. By the sound of things, it seems more like all-or-nothing in trying to provide some kind of spark.

    It seems incredibly strange what is trying to be done with this NewsFix and this "news imaginator" thing. I don't know... I'm concerned and confused at the same time.

  2. Mike - consider yourself saved. I predict nothing but "Hot Flash Havoc" from this experiment.

    The bottom line is: the news is just the news. Either your audience wants to be informed or they don't. News stations need to stop trying to "sex up" a product they CAN'T CONTROL.

    And as for this Jaffe guy...Take one guy who has an independent video pedigree and mix it with a whole group of people who know nothing but news and it's a recipe for bad morale, bad product, and a bad taste in the mouth of Tribune, who will likely shutter the news operation entirely after this crashes and burns.