support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, November 27, 2009

Black Friday reveals the human condition


It's that time of year again for cold chills and ice...actually that is just how the stares feel you get from other shoppers this weekend. It doesn't usually get super cold in Texas right now temperature wise.

I have received reports from the Black Friday crowds and my first thought - this 24 hour cycle is just made for a documentary on the human condition! Good luck getting cameras on mall property long enough to capture it all though. It would have to be a sneaky operation.

Supposedly stores were opening up at midnight, 3:30am, 5am...etc. Heck I was still up at 2am watching old Kurt Cobain and Axl Rose interviews on YouTube. Why was I wasting my time when I could have been out fighting to save some money?

If I was lucky enough to be shooting a documentary on this event, I would have been watching for the line cutters. Someone I talked to saw a line cutter show up and try to offer someone $20 to pretend they knew each other so she could cut in line! Others just casually walked up reading a newspaper or smoking while trying to blend in as much as possible. "Don't look at me, I've been here the whole time, honest!"

Stores with security guards saw a lot of cheating going on from what I've heard, but if there were actual cops at the door...not so much. I heard some HPD off duty officers working one box store said if they caught cheaters or saw someone rushing the door, they were locking the place down. That's probably what it takes to stop it.

The photo above is courtesy of Murdock who took this at 3:30am outside of a Dallas area Kohl's. CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here