support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Saturday, March 31, 2007

When meteorologists offer transparency

I must say I am impressed with Tim Heller's latest post on the Weather Blog. Heller talked about weather forecasts and the meteorologist's confidence in it:
I'm confident of my forecast on Saturday. But because we can't be certain where that front will stall, my confidence is low for Sunday's forecast.

How's that for honesty? It's not that we can't figure out what might happen. It's just that a minor change in the position of the front will have a major effect on our weather. I've often wondered how viewers would respond if we told them how much confidence or lack of confidence we have in our own forecast. What do you think? Is this something we should try and do more often?

By the comments he's received, I'd say that the viewers appreciate this openness too (in full disclosure, I work with Tim).

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here