support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Carlo Cecchetto of KFMB talks secrets of TV reporting and anchoring

Today on Breaking into Journalism, we head out to sunny San Diego where we talk with reporter/anchor Carlo Cecchetto. He's done both jobs and gives us an inside look.

mikemcguff: Tell us about yourself.

I'm a general assignment reporter at CBS affiliate KFMB-TV in San Diego. I've been here about three years now, mostly working the morning shift, moving to nights recently. In my time here I have worked every shift as a reporter, and also as an anchor, and even filled in for sports a few times. Previously, I was at KXXV in Waco where I started as a morning anchor before being promoted to evenings. It's also where I met the talented Mr. McGuff and worked for an excellent News Director named Dennis Kinney who has also been interviewed on this site. My first on-air job at a commercial television station was at KOBI-TV in Medford, OR where I was a reporter/weekend anchor. I've been happily married for ten years, and have two lovely daughters and a dog.

mikemcguff: So many guys want to go into sports, why did you choose reporting and anchoring?

Carlo Cecchetto: At first, I was convinced I was going to do sports, in fact my first on-camera experience came as a sports reporter/anchor for Santa Monica City TV. It was fun, but what I learned was that I enjoy sports more as a fan, less as a broadcaster. I was attracted to news because of the variety of stories that I would get to cover, it's a much more personally rewarding experience.

mikemcguff: Is there a story or series of reports you are most proud of?

Carlo Cecchetto: It would be hard for me to choose a single story I'm most proud of at this point. I think the work I did covering the October, 2003 wildfires in San Diego was probably my most important work. It was such an enormous disaster, I feel like I was part of an oustanding team providing a crucial service to the community.

mikemcguff: What is the hardest part about being a reporter?

Carlo Cecchetto: It's tough for me to say what is hardest about being a reporter. I don't consider the work itself to be too difficult, it can be stressful, but for the most part I enjoy it. I think the life journey a reporter/anchor has to take is probably the toughest part of the job. Moving from small market to mid-sized market, etc.... many people find out they can't live with the kind of uncertainty that comes in living contract to contract.

mikemcguff: How do you learn to be a good live reporter?

Carlo Cecchetto: I think the biggest key to success for me, when it comes to being live, is a lack of fear. I try not to worry about being embarrassed, or making a mistake. It's live TV, strange things happen. Accept that, and you can just focus on what you're saying. As much as possible, try to talk to the audience, be conversational. Other than that, have others watch your airchecks and tell you what they think.

mikemcguff: What is the hardest part about being an anchor?

Carlo Cecchetto: The anchoring thing is similair to reporting, don't have fear. Relax and be yourself, or rather a slightly more energized version of yourself. Read over your copy before you hit the air, there is no excuse for not being prepared. Both in reporting and in anchoring.. avoid trying to sound like a broadcaster... just try to sound like yourself and be clear and
understandable.

mikemcguff: Do you advise studying journalism in school, or should you try something else to broaden your horizons?

Carlo Cecchetto: I was not a Broadcast Journalism Major. I studied Political Science. After college I managed restaurants, then sold phone systems to small businesses. But I had a bug to be in broadcasting, so I took some JC classes and did some internships. That lead me to where I am today. I certainly don't think you have to major in Communications or Broadcast Journalism to be a success in this business, but I would urge anyone planning a career in television
news to take several courses to learn the basics.

mikemcguff: Anything else you want to add?

Carlo Cecchetto: I just want to add that this job is very rewarding and enjoyable to me. It has introduced me to situations, locations and people I otherwise would not have experienced. I get to learn new things, and apply them on a daily basis. That's fun. I think the last thing I would say to those getting into the business is have a little patience, be good to the people you work with, and most of all, learn to seek out and accept criticism and input. If you are thin skinned, you'll never improve.

Read more interviews on how to break into the business.

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here