Here is what I have learned. If I like a Houston HD radio station, its days are numbered.
The latest casualty is Oldies 107.5 HD2 KGLK, voiced and programmed locally by Eagle DJ Scott Sparks. The station that featured 1970s-era AM gold hits, which I guess could be classified as somewhat Yacht Rock, is no more as of this week.
Instead, it's been replaced by an FM station I recently wrote about debuting - The X106.1 K291CE-FM. Remember, the one that replaced Puro Tejano 106.1 to compete with the void left by 95.7 The Spot KKHH's format flip to 95.7 The Fan KIKK sports talk? Got all of that?
Now you might ask, why is a station that can be picked up on analog radio also airing on a digital subband? (called DAB in the UK, I just learned)
Well, notice the funny call letters of K291CE-FM associated with the 106.1 frequency? That is a low-power station, so it can only go so far. So I guess the thought of going on 107.5 HD2 increases the range and therefore listeners and hopefully advertisers. It should help, but 107.5 HD2 has moments where I can't get it, even with a good antenna.
And then there is the age-old question concerning how many Houston radio listeners can even pick up digital HD radio?
Now, let's look at the Houston HD digital graveyard of stations that I have loved that are no longer with us:
- HarD Rock 96-5 HD2 off the air
- 104.1 KRBE HD2 flips to "NASH Icon" country
Oh, and I am never promoting another Houston HD radio station. It's for their protection.
