support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

Runaway Radio Screenings
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming on Tubi!

Thursday, October 24, 2024

How do you get on the WFAA roof?



Scott Braddock, editor of the Quorum Report and co-host of the Houston Chronicle's Texas Take Podcast, talked about appearing on WFAA 8 Dallas-Fort Worth in the pre-show for last week's Ted Cruz vs. Colin Allred debate.

On the podcast, Braddock pulled back the curtain on how his live interview with anchor Dia Wall from WFAA's rooftop worked.


"Apparently they've done this for years at WFAA. They like to have some of their guests appear from the rooftop of the building. 


And the reason for that is it just looks cool in the background...I mean, it looks cool. I'm standing up there and there's the wind is blowing in my hair. That's not quite as impressive as, like, a Rick Perry, but anyway, it's the the wind is blowing. It's a million degrees. I'm sweating.


And to get up on the roof of this TV station, Jeremy [Wallace], I had to crawl up a ladder. You would think they've done this for years. They've had people appear up there. You would think they'd have an elevator or something. A normal staircase. No, it was like a staircase. Like a like a fire escape kind of thing. Like on a like on a naval ship.


I mean, I'm in my suit and tie, crawling up this ladder to get on top of this rooftop and burn up, up there. And I'm taking my jacket off because I'm going to die in the heat. 


And I visited with Dia Wall, who's one of their fantastic anchors there at WFAA. She was in the air conditioning in the studio while I'm up on top of the roof."



A maxim in the TV biz is that it certainly is not as glamorous as it may appear. Braddock already knows this as he is quite familiar with live TV and appears on stations around Texas.

You can watch the interview he is talking about here.

Braddock, an Edward R. Murrow and AP award winner, previously worked for 740 KTRH Houston and NewsRadio 1080 KRLD DFW.



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here