support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, April 25, 2024

FOX 7 Austin photographer arrested at UT protest


A FOX 7 Austin KTBC photojournalist was arrested at the pro-Palestine protests held on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin Wednesday afternoon.

UPDATE APRIL 30, 2024
Texas DPS charges against photojournalist dropped after UT protest arrest

UPDATE
Fox 7 Austin photographer has charges dropped upon release



KTBC did not identify the photographer, but as he was being taken away by a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper, the TV photog said in an X video posted by KXAN weekend anchor Nabil Remadna that his name was Carlos. UPDATE: KXAN later identified him as Carlos Sanchez.



"They were pushing me, and they said that I hit an officer," Carlos said in the video. "I didn’t hit an officer. They were pushing me.

"No, this has never happened to me. I was just covering things, and they were pushing. Yeah, I told him that I was the press. This one says I was hitting an officer. I was not hitting nobody."

According to FOX 7, its photographer was booked into the Travis County Jail later in the evening and charged with criminal trespassing. KVUE reports that more than 50 people were arrested.

"This is ridiculous. I worked with Carlos @fox7austin," abc13 Houston KTRK reporter Shannon Ryan posted to X.  "Like the rest of their team, he is kind and professional. The fact he is sitting in jail for having done nothing but his job is an embarrassment and waste of public resources."



"I can’t remember a journalist ever being arrested for doing his job in my 24 years of reporting in Austin," Austin American-Statesman and KVUE reporter Tony Plohetski posted.





CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here