support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston streaming dvd
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, February 08, 2024

"Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary release is this month!

Runaway Radio Houston premiere


Thanks to the Houston Chronicle arts and entertainment editor Cary Darling for exclusively breaking the news on the 2024 release of my upcoming 101 KLOL documentary "Runaway Radio."

Darling has been more patient with me than the entire KLOL Rock and Roll Army.  He's been reliably checking in with me for years concerning the film's status!

As I told Darling in the Chronicle:


"When I started this documentary, we were in a recession, followed by a global pandemic when we finished it," McGuff said. "Based on those who have seen the movie at film festivals, it will be worth the wait!"


"Runaway Radio" will be available to rent or buy on all major video-on-demand (VOD) platforms, including iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, YouTube, and cable/satellite, starting February 27, 2024.

On March 2, 2024, there will be a 6:30pm and 9pm screening in the Houston area at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema LaCenterra in Katy.  Special Q&A hosted by Craig Hlavaty.


BUY TICKETS



"I left KLOL 28 years ago this month, and not a week has gone by in all that time when at least someone hasn’t asked me about the station or told me a story about tickets I gave them or a song I played or more," former KLOL DJ, and current Houston Radio Platinum host, Dayna Steele said. "We were and still are a part of the listeners’ family."

"As the creator of Outlaw Radio on KLOL, it was the launching pad of a rocket ride I can thankfully say is still going," former KLOL DJ and current 95.7 The Spot all-day host GregO said. "KLOL fans will relive all the memories that made 101 great when the station ruled Houston. You will love this movie!"

"I’m so excited that the fans are going to finally be able to see all the hard work that went into chronically one of the greatest radio stations this country has ever known," said former KLOL DJ, and current Houston Eagle night host, Outlaw Dave. "As a Houstonian growing up listening to the station and then for a brief time getting to be a part of it is one of the most special facets of my storied career. Hats off to all the people behind this project of immortalizing what we thought was an immortal station."

"I’ll be forever grateful that KLOL gave me my first opportunity in media," former KLOL on-air personality and current KHOU 11 morning traffic anchor Jennifer Reyna said. "Getting to work at my mother’s favorite radio station alongside the legendary Outlaw Dave and crew made it a fun part of Houston’s radio history. It is exciting to be a part of a station with so much legacy, and I’m glad it will be documented on film."

The film debuted in November 2023 at the music documentary festival Sound Unseen Minneapolis.



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here