support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Ted Oberg to join NBC Washington WRC


Ted Oberg is leaving his investigative reporting job with abc13 KTRK Houston and joining the NEWS4 I-Team at NBC Washington WRC mikemcguff.com has confirmed.

"After 21 years here, my family and I made a really, really tough decision to move on from abc13, my home since 2001," Oberg said on the the KTRK 6pm news for his October 20, 2022 on-air goodbye.  "It is the hardest professional choice I have ever made.  I love Houston. I love our 13 Investigates team and all of our colleagues here. ABC 13 worked hard to keep us here, but the new opportunity gets my family and me back to the East Coast where I grew up, where my parents still live and it gives us a chance for a new adventure." 

Oberg added he will be here working his investigative stories until Thanksgiving. He says he can never thank Houston television viewers enough for what they have given him and his family over the years. 

And before anyone says it first, I guess former Texas Gov. Rick Perry will say "adios mofo" to Oberg.  Click the link if you have no clue what I'm talking about.

RELATED
Ted Oberg takes home first Dave Ward Media Excellence Award


Oberg, who arrived at channel 13 Houston back in October 2001 as a night side reporter, will be a tough loss for Houston journalism. He is a towering journalistic figure in this town, and I am not just saying that because of his height.

Always a creative and thoughtful storyteller, my first thought back then upon seeing his works was 'this guy belongs on the network!' 

Clearly others noticed as Oberg rose through the KTRK on-air ranks to investigative reporter and his "Turn to Ted" consumer segments.

The self-described "FOI addict" reads over public records like some people play Wordle on their phone!


The University of Michigan grad previously worked as a reporter for:

- WAVY 10 Hampton Roads, VA

- WSLS 10 Roanoke, Virginia Area

- WLUC Marquette, MI


And for those longtime blog readers, Oberg is married to former KPRC 2 Healthbeat reporter Krista Marino. 



*updated with info about Ted Oberg's job after abc13 KTRK at NBC 4 Washington WRC.

CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here