support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

Runaway Radio Screenings
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming on Tubi!

Friday, October 08, 2021

Two Austin reporters leave TV news

The "Great Resignation" seems to be alive and well in the world of Texas television news as you have been reading on this blog. In fact, I just blogged about it in Houston.

In our state's capital, reporter/MMJ Melanie Barden just left KEYE 42 Austin at the end of September. 

Here is what Barden posted on Facebook.

 

"After 8 years, 3 states and 4 newsrooms… I’ve decided to step away from local news and try something new! The decision wasn’t an easy one—being a journalist has taught me so much about myself and the world. 

I’ve witnessed history, held politicians accountable, reported during natural disasters and had the privilege of telling countless community-based stories. 

But by far, the best part of the job has been the people. I’ll never forget all the wonderful people who've trusted me with their stories and will be forever grateful for all the life-long friends I’ve met along the way. 

All news is local-- and I can’t wait to cheer on my local newsies, this time, from the comfort of my couch.  Until next time!!"


Barden joined CBS Austin in March 2017 from WACH Columbia, South Carolina where she was an MMJ.

The University of Virginia grad also worked as an editor for WTKR Norfolk, Virginia and a production assistant for WVIR Charlottesville, Virginia.


Jennifer Kendall to leave FOX 7 Austin KTBC

Jennifer Kendall, who joined FOX 7 Austin KTBC in May 2014 as the FOX owned station's first multi-media journalist (MMJ/MSJ depending on the company) announced she is leaving.

Here is what Kendall posted on Facebook:


"After ten years working in TV news, I have decided to try something new. This week will be my last on Fox 7 Austin.

To those who gave me their trust over the years, to those who gave me their time, wisdom and compassion, thank you.

You made the last decade the best of my life and you have changed me in ways I never thought possible.

As I hang up my microphone, I leave you with this: If you ever decide you are writing the wrong story, give yourself permission to start all over again."


Kendall previously worked as a reporter for KTXS Abilene and on the weekend assignments desk for FOX News Channel in Los Angeles.

The Arizona State University grad also has a master's degree from the University of Southern California.






CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here