support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, September 11, 2020

Randy McIlvoy's journey to KPRC started in Meyerland


Yesterday was the first time since October 12, 1980 when we had the Astros, Rockets and our NFL team play regular-season or playoff games on the same day according to the Houston Chronicle.

Like yesterday, things didn't go well for our teams nearly 40 years ago either.

But since sports is on our minds at the moment, let's take a look at the history of someone I get lots of reader questions about - KPRC 2 sports director Randy McIlvoy!

In a recent Get2Know segment, Houston Life hosts Derrick Shore and Courtney Zavala tackled the channel 2 sports anchor's early interest in Houston television news.

RELATED
Houston Life debuts at 3pm, Joe Sam joins

Here is a partial transcript (video above):

Randy McIlvoy: I grew up literally five minutes down the road from Channel 2 in Meyerland. Yeah, I went to Bellaire High School (class of 1985). My mom still lives in the house I grew up in. So this neck of the woods is this is my part of Houston over here, the southwest part.

Derrick Shore: Randy, is it true that you have worked in television now for 32 years?

Randy McIlvoy: I've just wrapped up thirty one. I started in 1989.

Derrick Shore: Wow. And at what point did you realize that this was a thing. Because you know, sports is...a lot of us watch sports. Right, covering sports, it's a totally different ballgame, no pun intended. But it is a tough, tough gig. So tell us about this journey to finding this job and career path.

Randy McIlvoy: I was hooked on TV news as a kid. I loved watching the newscast on TV. Don't ask me why. I just did. I thought it was fascinating that they would get video from all over the place had it come in. So I was hooked early. And of course, I was an athlete growing up in a high school play baseball at Bellaire High School and walked on at Sam Houston State as well. So I went to Sam Houston and I got a little bit of experience in Bellaire with a little cable patchwork job we did...we did a live newscast during the lunch hour. It was pretty cool back back in the 80s. That was a big deal. And then at Sam Houston State, I walked off for a couple of years, finished baseball and just really locked into what I wanted to do.

Sam Houston's got a well known journalism department and really enjoyed the experiences I got there, led to some internships at all the stations here in town, including Channel 2 back in 1986 I had a summer internship here. And, you know, I just love being a part of it, being around Houston sports, growing up to going to games at the Astrodome, at The Summit, the old Summit with the Rockets...Lakewood Church now. And you know what, the doors open. I went to Beaumont (KBMT) for about seven years, Dallas (FOX Sports Southwest) for about seven years. And I've been here 16 years now.

I wonder if McIlovy and new KVUE Austin morning anchor Mike Rush were at Bellaire High School at the same time? By the way, here is a list of other famous HISD graduates.

One item not mentioned, is that McIlvoy and his wife, Tammy, are co-Founders of Logos Prep Academy in Sugar Land.



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here