support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, July 20, 2020

Newscenter25 KAVU's announces new anchor lineup


VICTORIA, Texas – One of the longest serving sports anchors in the country and the second longest serving sports journalist in Texas is passing the torch to the next generation. Don Brubaker joined the sports department at KAVU-TV in 1984. Brubaker is now serving as the main 6 and 10 p.m. news anchor.

“Don Brubaker is a huge part of the rich history at this legacy station”, said news director James Muñoz. “Don has guided our viewers through the COVID-19 pandemic and continues to be an integral part of this entire organization.”

"Back in March, our news director, James Munoz, asked if I would be interested in switching from sports to news anchor," Brubaker added. "I was honored to be asked. We tried it and with a lot of help from our great news team, it turned out well. Then the pandemic hit, and sports events got canceled. The news anchoring continued, and the response from viewers has been fantastic. I can't thank you enough for that. I am now making a permanent transition from sports to news anchoring, and I look forward to that, especially in an election year."

Don Brubaker Day in Victoria, Texas is August 27, 2020 as declared by Mayor Rawley McCoy last year.

KAVU-TV did not have to look far for Brubaker’s replacement. Sunrise morning anchor Geno Perez expressed interest in the position and accepted an offer this week.

“I am extremely grateful to have this opportunity. Sports has been a part of my life since the age of four and continuing to my college career as a wide receiver. The fact that I get to cover the sports I love for a living is a blessing and a dream come true. I hope my love for sports will be shown in my work. Victoria has been my home for a short time, but I am looking forward to growing here and seeing what else Victoria has to offer,” Perez said.

Geno Perez joined KAVU-TV last October. He joins weekend sports anchor Tania Tchalikian. This team is already planning a 30-minute pre-season football program and preparing for Friday Football Fever this fall.

Don Brubaker and Geno Perez join co-anchor Ozzy Mora and chief meteorologist Brian Alonzo on Newscenter25 at 6 and 10 p.m.

RELATED
KAVU Victoria has new leadership

About KAVU-TV: Newscenter25 is the flagship station to five low-power stations in Victoria, Texas. All stations are under one studio along North Navarro Street west of downtown Victoria. KAVU-TV was founded on December 7, 1981 and took to the airwaves in the Crossroads on July 21, 1982.

About Morgan Murphy Media:
Morgan Murphy Media has been family owned and operated since its founding in 1890. Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, Morgan Murphy Media operates television and radio stations, a print magazine, websites, apps and a digital marketing agency across its seven locations: Spokane, WA, Madison, WI, Yakima-Pasco-Richland-Kennewich, WA, La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI, Joplin, MO/Pittsburg, KS, Victoria, Texas, and Platteville, WI/Dubuque, IA.

(This post was taken from a release sent to me by KAVU)



CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here