support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston streaming dvd
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Friday, March 27, 2020

Producing videos from home

Here is some of the equipment I used to produce my Alzheimer's fight thank you video


Since I wasn't able to attend the Alzheimer's Association Forum in Washington DC this year because of the coronavirus, I made this video thanking Representative Lizzie Fletcher, for her work on fighting the disease.

As an Alzheimer's Association Ambassador, I represent Fletcher's district, Texas District 7 of the United States House of Representatives.

We were scheduled to meet with the congresswoman at her Capitol Hill office to thank her in person, but since we can't, this was the next best thing.

Making this video got me thinking of all the Houston TV folks broadcasting from their homes.

RELATED
Houston media members affected by novel coronavirus

It was a good activity for my kids. Kept them busy for a while. My youngest son told me he was going to stick with me till we were finished. He is ready for the production world one day with that attitude!

This was the first time they seemed interested in production work.

People have been asking me about the technical aspects of shooting video at home. This was shot with a Canon EOS 5D Mark III, Savage Lavalier wired Microphone, Sunpak - LED 448 19" Bi-Color Ring Light and Ikan DH5e-DK-C monitor.

If you don't have this stuff, don't worry, a phone works well to. You can even plug a Lav mic into a phone while using a ring light for good looking video. This is how some of the TV people are doing it.

Since 2013 or so, I have been editing with Final Cut Pro X, but have just now started transitioning to Adobe Premiere since that seems to be what lots of people are using these days. Both are great programs, but I do miss the ease of the Ken Burns effect when using Premiere.

Here are the equipment specs if you are interested in this type of thing.













CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here