support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Courtney Zubowski working for CBS News


Courtney Zubowski left KHOU 11 and TV News back in 2014, but as Michael Corleone said in The Godfather: Part III, "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."

As I wrote in September, lots of former Houston TV journalists were called back into duty for Hurricane Harvey, and Zubowski was one I mentioned as working for CBS News' Newspath (which provides stories and live shots to CBS newscasts, owned stations and affiliates).

"Houston is my hometown," Zubowski told mikemcguff.com. "I couldn't sit back during Harvey and I had been thinking about going back to news for awhile. Once the news business is in your blood, it's always there."

Except, even as the rains of Harvey have long moved on, she hasn't stopped.

Now the former channel 11 reporter has been on camera correspondent for CBS News' Newspath.

"Stories need to appeal to a broader audience so you have to find angles that speak to not only the community you are reporting from, but also the rest of the country," Zubowski says of the transition from local TV to national. "There is definitely a lot more travel, so finding local contacts is a bit more challenging, but there are extra hands to help. The end goal is the same: find the story and get it right."

Immediately after Harvey, Zubowski was called by the network to help cover Irma.

"Many of the stories I've been covering for Newspath are hurricane related, but I've also had a chance to do some lighthearted features," Zubowski said.

That lighthearted included a story on crazy fried food from the State Fair of Texas.


According to her Facebook account, this week, Zubowski has been in Las Vegas covering the shooting massacre.

Zubowski tells me she hopes to continue working with CBS, but even if she doesn't, it sounds like there is still a lot on her plate.

"Since leaving the new business, I've been working with several non-profit organizations helping raise money," Zubowski added. "I also had a baby, Jagger, who is now 14 months old."





CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here