support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Weird ways to send your resume

I am a sucker for these types of things. It seems some staffing service called OfficeTeam did a survey with companies about strange things job seekers have done to get get their resume noticed:

-- "I remember a job candidate bringing in milk and cookies."
-- "Singing. It's something you don't forget."
-- "I have seen magnets on people's cars directing others to websites for
their resumes."
-- "I remember someone had his resume delivered in a pizza box."
-- "Someone stood outside our building from 9 to 5 every day for a month
until he was hired. It worked."
-- "A job applicant spritzed her resume with perfume."
-- "Someone wrote a press release announcing she had been hired and used
it as her cover letter."

The packaging can be interesting too:

-- "I received a resume rolled up inside a toy semi truck."
-- "Someone sent us a baby shoe with a resume wrapped around it. He said
he wanted to 'get his foot in the door.' He did not get the job, but
it got my attention, and I read his resume twice."
-- "A woman dropped off a balloon with her resume."
-- "Once we received a resume rolled in a bottle."
-- "We received a resume made into a paper airplane."
-- "Someone applying for a job in women's fashion designed her resume in
a feminine shape."
-- "I received a laminated resume."
-- "Someone came in with a 10-page binder detailing his work history."
-- "A job seeker came in with an oversized schematic that he rolled out
on the table and used to 'pitch' himself to me."

I have never done anything weird to be noticed. What about you? Although I did start talking about the Mayan calendar ending on my LinkedIn profile. Is that weird? CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here