support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Monday, September 08, 2008

MTV VMAs = YAWN

Sunday night's MTV Video Music Awards were like the shows from previous years...lackluster.

I remember as a teen being very excited about the VMAs. Even recording performances to watch back later.  I was even still into the show up until the 2000s. 

And before you say Mike you are too old and don't get the new bands of today.  That's not entirely true, there are still plenty of good bands coming out that I like, MTV just didn't focus on them for this show.  Plus, back in the day, the show actually had established artists from a variety of musical genres play.  Not anymore.

In fact the entire spectacle is gone.  I guess the best performance this year was Pink's choreographed back lot performance complete with fake Molotov cocktails and other explosions.   I can't believe I just said this. Well it was certainly better than Miley Cyrus' paid ad for Rock Band 2 that was built into the middle of the show.

MTV has lost its way. Lately I've been going to Houston area high schools to talk with students about my work's high school sports initiative. I always ask the students if anyone watches MTV.  The answer is mostly no.  The new MTV is YouTube apparently (no surprise).

Russel Bland Brand was not the worst host but he seemed to bomb at points.

I missed Britney Spears' open video.  Didn't sound like I missed much.  In fact, I think the whole reason to have the awards this year was to relaunch Britney's career. That's it.  The media has done enough to ruin her, now it is time to relaunch her career. The media loves a good Greek tragedy, but they also like the phoenix story too. Plus MTV needs her again in top form for ratings.  They had to lead the charge to get her back to full pop star status.

What did you think?

At the MTV Video Music Awards, a Big Draw, a Punch Line and, Now, a Winner
How was Britney Spears' MTV comeback?

Spears Sweeps, Brand Bashes Bush at VMAs
Why Britney Spears' top MTV VMA victory was a jaw-dropper
VMA news feed CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here