support

CONTACT: Tip | COMMENT: Respond | FOLLOW: | EMAIL: Newsletter

promo

101 KLOL documentary Runaway Radio Houston screening
WATCH: Mike McGuff's "Runaway Radio" 101 KLOL documentary - now streaming!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mike McGuff gets an ego blast

Graeme Newell of 602 Communications is a big time TV and Internet consultant and one that I actually listen to. He gets it. And I've always thought this even before he featured my budding Internet kingdom!

That's right, Newell wrote about my social networking skills:

Mike McGuff is a web producer at KTRK in Houston and publishes a news blog all about the TV biz in the city. Mike is an active social networker with personal pages on Linked In, and Facebook. But his Twitter postings are some of the best I’ve seen. You see, Mike is a linking animal. His posts on Twitter:http://twitter.com/mikemcguff are some of my favorites, because they are a constant stream of some of the most interesting and bizarre links to be found on the web. Mike has 66 people who follow his posts and he has been building steadily.

In effect, Mike and I have made a tacit deal. He agrees to keep his posts very short and scanable. He keeps me informed with links to great interesting content, and I agree to do the same. Mike and I don’t talk or email. But what is really powerful is that my network and Mike’s network are now joined. If Mike has some bit of information he needs, he can put out the word on Twitter, and tap into the resources of 66 different people. What’s even more powerful is that those 66 people all have their own networks that Mike can utilize with just a quick request to his Twitter friends.

The key is that Mike is a good social networking citizen. This means he gives as well as receives. Because his posts are valuable to his audience, they are more than happy to help out on those occasions when Mike may need information.

READ THE REST

Wow, I got mentioned in the same text as Leo Laporte and Barack Obama. That probably won't happen ever again! CONTACT: Leave me a Houston or Texas media news tip | COMMENT: Click to leave your thoughts on this post here